Attached pad carpet?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blue Jay

Reaction score
My daughter and her hubby are looking at putting carpet on their basement floor, they are looking at some carpet that has padding attached. They were thinking about putting another pad under the carpet to give it more cushion.

Should it be done this way? Big box store says not to do so and to use tape instead of tack strips to secure the carpet with. I love it when the kids come ask Dad for info but this is out of my league.

I have had about 10 times more bad experiences with carpet in basements than good ones.

What is their basement like?

Is it rubberback or Kangaback? Kangaback is fine on a basement floor. And no, you should not put another pad under either one.

I have had about 10 times more bad experiences with carpet in basements than good ones.

What is their basement like?

Their basement is very dry, they have only heard the sump pump a couple of times.

Their basement is very dry, they have only heard the sump pump a couple of times.

Sounds like Sam’s suggestion of the Kangaback is the way to go. I think all the stuff I had problems with was the spongy rubber backed stuff. This product sounds good.

Now go sell them like a true Dad that knows the answer to all things.
:D

Back