Tools That ROCK!

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

secure

Reaction score
In my previous post, I focused on tools that did not necessarily live up to the hype of the product. This one I am going 180 degrees on, talking about tools that ROCK!

I have to say the one tool that has absolutely been the "King" in that category at my house was "The RotoZip Saw".

Whether free-handing or following guides, this tool has saved me many hours of frustration on so many different projects. It is an absolute must for dry wall cut outs of sockets, switches, and other things like plumbing when you need a good hole quickly.

I highly recommend this tool be in your army of tools. You will find so many uses that you would never have thought of for this tool. You'll be working on a project and get stuck thinking, "How am I going to get that done without messing it up?....OH YEAH, The ROTO ZIP!".

Like the other posts, please posts the tools you absolutely love or think that it Rocks! I would love to hear about some cool tools that live up to the hype that is behind them. Include projects even and you might save someone time and money again who has a similar situation.

I've got the Rotozip, and it is a great tool for so many things. I'm a Professional Handyman (35 years now) and I use it a lot. For cabinet fitting, drywall, cutting holes for ceiling lights etc. One customer wanted new baseboards through the house. No problem... ahhh the 1/2" tile was installed after the original baseboards. I used the Rotozip with the "Zipmate"attachment and cut them off at the tile line. Didn't damage one piece of tile. Also I like the flex shaft that they have for it.

I thought it was cool when it came out. Just after getting out of the service I hung rock for a few years and we would chuck an 1/8" drill bit in a trim router body and use that to cut out openings for electrical boxes and doors and windows. So I'm pretty sure that it ws a drywaller that came up with the rotozip! :)

Anyway it's a great tool for what it was designed to do!

The DeWalt DW087K Self-Leveling Line Laser (Horizontal & Vertical). This is a great tool. It has too many uses to list. It shoots either a horizontal or vertical laser line (red) after leveling itself instantly. When we installed our outlets, for example, we set the unit up and turned on the horizontal laser and then marked the studs for installing each box. It also does great for nailing to studs oon a perfectly straight line, leveling window coverings and shelving - and the list goes on. It uses four AA batteries, which last for quite some time - we use rechargeables.

i love my makita sander, i had 2 black and decker sanders that just vibrated themselves to death and gave alot of vibration to the operator as well. the new sander does a excellent job and doesnt give you any vibrations. the old ones would tire me out before i had to change paper. i could sand all day with the makita. it has a dust-collection bag and the sheets have holes to allow dust to escape. it came with several sheets. im sure since their macine specific they cost more, but you can still use a std 1/3 sheet.

Little Giant Ladder. Not maybe what you had in mind for "tools" but it by far is the best investment I have made for my shop and home. Expensive, yes. But these ladders redefine the concept of "safety" in terms of a ladder. VERY rigid, VERY stable. They hold even a big fat man with a belly that hangs over his belt and a crack out the back of his pants. They work on uneven surfaces. They are height adjustable. Every other ladder is just a toy compared to these ladders. More injuries occur in America from falls than all other accidents combined. Most are from ladders or other instruments intended to give you heighth. Ladders are notorious for tipping over, usually because the user reached out too far. With a Little Giant ladder, you can reach out and feel safe. You can move around and feel safe. To me, my safety has no price tag, so the extra money I spent on this ladder was well worth it.

My milwaukee drill and impact drive and my cold steel machetes absolutely rock :)

I saw a guy using a Hole Pro adjustable hole cutter in Germany and then found one in the US. It adjusts from 2" up to 12" and I use it to make holes for recessed lighting and ceiling speakers and in the shop for making discs (having removed the pilot bit) using a drill press. It uses a clear shield that catches all the dust and keeps the hole cutter perfectly aligned and can be used to restrict the cutting depth of the tool. I can adjust it to cut 3/4" deep and cut only the sheetrock and not something else as well which is easy to do with a hand or reciprocating saw.

Best part is being able to adjust it for the exact size hole needed and it takes a lot less power than a hole saw so I have stopped using corded drills altogether. Hole Saws stop at 6" diameter (and all my cordless drills are rated for a 2-1/8" or smaller hole saw size in wood) and with the Hole Pro I can go a lot larger, making 8" holes in plywood and 12" holes in sheetrock and plaster and cement board. I have happily tossed out all my Lenox One Tooth hole saws which were another less than stellar purchase decision (so much for the great review in FHB).

I had tried using one of the Greenlee $50 adjustable hole cutters but it would only cut sheetrock and the shield really didn't keep the dust from going everywhere. The extra change for the Hole Pro was well worth it. Jobs where I used to delay because I didn't really want to deal with cutting large holes are now fun.

Blades are replaceable and they have ones for wood and plastic and tungsten carbide for sheetrock and plaster and cement board. 5-year warranty they provide is also rare these days with any tool company.

Well, my tools that rocks are many but i am incomplete without my tool-kit so i would select my tool kit as ROCKING one!
My Tool-Kit: Syba 145-Piece Computer Tool Kit SY-ACC65034
here is d pic of it

51iMW2hmZvL._SS500_.jpg

I asked this question recently on my Facebook page and people replied "Lazy Boy" and "iPhone."

Funny, but kind of true.

is WD-40 considered a tool? I mean... if an iPhone is a tool, then so is WD-40!

I'd say WD-40 or Liquid wrench! Time savers, bolt savers.

For me these days it is my Festool sanders hooked to the dust extractor.

CPO tools is having a sale on all there reconditioned tools, just trying to give a heads up.
I do not now or have I ever worked for them.
I just bought a Porta Cable 5" random orbital sander for under $25.00.

My Makita angle grinder is essential for so many jobs. Had to cut a run of tile that had been badly laid -- hand held it to follow a pencil line. Perfect cut, no damaged tiles. Turned around and cut stucco the next day. Turned around and used it to clean up old nails on a framing job. This tool saves the day when no other tool could help.

WD-40
J-b weld or super mend or white tex
Tie wire
the Swanson Speed square (keep the Chinese copies away)
Stanley's Fat max extreme snap off knife
Stanley's Fat max extreme utility knife
The Burke (or Marshalltown bar)
The Vaughn Superbar and Superbar XL
:trophy:

Back