Removing Painted Over Wallpaper

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rwhitt

Reaction score
Hello all. I am new to this forum. My husband and I have an OLD home...with plaster walls. There is at least 2 layers of wallpaper that, additionally, has been painted over. What is our best solution for either removing everything down to the plaster OR creating a smooth surface that we can then begin anew?

90 % of what my company does is restore 100 plus year old houses. It's far faster and turns out better to rip out that old plaster right down to the lath and replace it with new sheetrock. Quite a big mess but it goes pretty fast.
It's going to take you days and days to try and steam off and strip the wall paper then your still not quarrentyed the org. plaster will not be all cracked and needs repairing. In one day we can rip down one whole room, ceilings and all and rehang with new drywall.
Your going to have to mask off any doorways, cover heating vents, shut down the HVAC system, wear dust mask, and put a cheap box fan in a window once the screen is removed blowing out.
Your also going to have to have a plan to get rid of the old plaster. If there's a lot of area to do a dumpster works best, small jobs a pick up with an over sized tarp laying in the bed big enough to lay over the cab, so it can be flipped back to cover the load and be pulled on to dump it.
You will also need flat aluminum wide shovels, shop vac, empty 5 gal buckets, goggles.

Back