removing glue from wood floor

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sarahwings

Reaction score
We pulled up the old vinyl floor in our bathroom and found the original wood flooring underneath.

There is a buch of old glue stuck on it, anyone have any ideas on removing it? I just read that "mineral spirits" might work, i'll have to go locate that stuff.

Thank you!

Using any flammable chemical on a floor in your home is so dangerous...
I could never recommend using anything like that to remove glue from a floor.
Is the glue hardened? Or is it still soft?
A good sharp scraper is the best possible tool for glue removal.
Mineral spirits can cause spontaneous combustion after you think it's all evaporated away. It soaks into the wood and remains there longer than you think.

Better to take your time than to risk burning your house down.

We pulled up the old vinyl floor in our bathroom and found the original wood flooring underneath.

There is a buch of old glue stuck on it, anyone have any ideas on removing it? I just read that "mineral spirits" might work, i'll have to go locate that stuff.

Thank you!

make sure you properly ventilate the room........sanding glue is always a bad idea. follow instructions....for safety and use NO FLAME....otherwise you should be fine......mineral spirits do not ignite unless flame is directly applied in a POORLY VENTILATED room

Yeah, the glue is really old & hard. I think it's actually tar based, from the 40's or so!

Hmm, maybe I'll just tile over it instead.

Hello Sarahwings:
Mineral spirits does have a higher flash point than gasoline but please remember it has a flash point; the point that the fumes will burn.
Your idea of tiling over the glue is a good one. Or, you could lay a 1/4" underlayment over the glue and use sheet vinyl floor covering. Remember, each tile has 4 joints to leak or get off center.
Glenn

Back