Back yard drain tile project

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomS

Reaction score
I am planning to lay some corrugated flexible drain tile with the sock in the back yard to help with a wet back yard. There is currently some drain tile that I assume comes from the exterior of the foundation (walk out basement) that needs to be extended to the storm sewer in the back corner of our lot.

I also plan to add drain tile from the gutter down spouts to move the water to the storm sewer too. The distance from the house to the storm sewer is about 40 feet and drops about a ¼” per foot. The drain tile will only be under 2” -3” of soil.

I have been thinking about running two separate runs of drain tile to keep the foundation and gutter down spout separate. My thought is that if there is a lot of volume running from the down spout there would be a risk that the water would back up toward the foundation.

Are two runs a good plan or is it over kill. Will corrugated flexible drain tile be strong enough? What else should I be thinking about?

The pipe from the house should be solid pipe and seperate from the other. For the yard you may want to look at a yard drain and a deeper pipe.

The pipe from the house should be solid pipe and seperate from the other. For the yard you may want to look at a yard drain and a deeper pipe.

By a solid pipe do you mean something like standard 3” pvc pipe? Is the concern that the pipe could be crushed?

Also I am not sure what the yard drain would be? If you are referring to a dry well to drain down into the soil I don’t see that as an option. I am on heavy clay, I tried digging deeper to see if I could get to something that would drain but it was clay as far as I could go (about 4’ Feet deep). The hole filled to with water to about a foot below the surface but eventually dried out late in the summer.

The pipe from the house, non perferrated so it dosn't pick up mud from the yard and larger like 4 or 5 inch.
I like the system on the right for the yard as it as space the catch dirt and can be cleaned out.

drainage1.gif

images.jpg

Thank you for the suggestions. I was planning to use the drains under the down spouts and think I will add one more as a clean out like you suggested. I never thought about using a solid pipe with out perforations and was concerned about soil getting in so that should help a lot.

I use the solid pipe until it gets about 20' from the house so it doesn't come back around the foundation then into the perf tile.

I took a few photo of my drain tile install. I extended the two existing lines. I added an additional line from the gutter down spouts. I used the yard drains under the down spouts to keep out leave that may come down the down spout.

photo1.jpg

photo2.jpg

photo3.jpg

I was suggesting the yard drains in the yard,so when the water dosn't drain thru the soil and lays on the surface it still has a place to go. In heavy rain there will be to much splash back at the down spouts.

Back