Sump Pump Questions

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1victorianfarmhouse

Established Member
Reaction score
My yard usually drains pretty good, so my sump pump doesn't get called into action often. The backyard was tallgrass prairie, then farmland, before the house was built 116 years ago.

This weekend much heavier than usual rains flooded the backyard, which led to the sump pump being overwhelmed as it drained.

I'm wondering if the sump pump was working correctly. It would go on for a few seconds, then shut off, not moving much water with the pit full. If I disconnected the switch and plugged the pump directly in the the outlet, it would go on, but the first 75% of the water would pump out very slowly, with the final 25% being pumped out very quickly.

I'm figuring the switch might be wonky, and so might the pump, which is of unknown age. I think it was made/sold by Peabody Barnes of Mansfield, OH according to the typewritten copied operation manual (model SSC27)that came with the house.

Comments are welcome, along with suggestions of brands to consider as replacements.

Thanks!

vince
Big Rock, IL

I don't deal with Sump Pumps here because Basements in Florida are beyond rare. If your basement is finished, I would be looking for a real good dependable sump pump. Zoeller has always been known for it's quality. I sold Myers Effluent pumps for septic systems a few years ago and they performed well. With all the mergers and buy outs that have been going on in the pump business, it's hard to tell what's good anymore.

Best advice will come from a Plumber that gets lots of calls for Sump Pump work.

I agree Zoeller is an excellent choice...

Around here the Zoellers I see that died are in many cases 20 years old or more and nothing left more than a chunk of rust on the end of a pipe, while other brands are much newer and still look the part but they are just dead...

I've got Zoeller sump pumps in my own house, my families homes, and I wouldn't use anything less...

Zoeller is the one I would recommend. Make sure it has a check valve or the water just comes back down into the pit, and the pump keeps runnin.

Thanks Guys!

The basement is unfinished, but is home to my wood shop and various other tools and guy stuff, so it's nice to keep it dry. I will get a Zoeller, and the current setup does have a check valve, but it was originally set up outside and freezes shut during the winter. Duh...

vince

Yes, indeed. And I didn't have to move off my sofa, LOL. Much easier than trying to find out from people by phone or at the stores. No BS or disguised sales pitches for their favorite.

Thanks!

vince

Back