How much did home security system cost?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sophieben

Reaction score
I am in a plan to install a home security system as it can enhance the security of my home. I would like to know how much it will cost me in Canada. Thanks in advance.

"A monitored security system will typically cost around $1,000 flat fee for installation and $250 a year in maintenance costs. "

Usually if your measures can delay the burglar one minute he will move on to the next house.

I used www.avantalarm.com. Finished my installation last month and it was fairly simple (as I am not super handy)They were easy to work with, helpful during installation and much more affordable than $1000 up front for my security system up front. (I think I paid $150 for 7 doors/windows, 1 motion and control unit/keypad) I pay $25 per month for monitoring but dont need a phone line and my security system can be accessed from iphone. (Plus after shopping around most companies were charging $40-$50 per month for the same services. If you are still looking, that is where I would start.

I have ADT since Dec. 2012. They actually offered to negotiate the price by waiving the $99 installation fee and adding extra windows. I dealt with an outside company which apparently sells the ADT service "ADT authorized" rather than directly. Somehow I found them through a promotional flyer. They were extremely eager to receive my business. I was told by another company who also reps ADT that after one year your account can be transferred to another ADT authorized provider and you may get a less expensive monitoring fee a year later.

I've had the service now for one year for $45.99 / mo and I'm having one other company pursue my business now feeding me some BS line about old equipment " in the area" and how I can upgrade, etc. For some unexplained reason they know I have an alarm, and they are soliciting both my neighbor who also has ADT and me for their business. It's time for me to start checking on prices as my 18-mo commitment is coming up soon.

I suspect the prices are negotiable like most services after a year. All you need to do
Is simply ask upfront and periodically inquire thereafter so you are paying current lowest best prices. I learned when ordering this security system that dealing directly with ADT versus an "authorized rep" provided me different ordering options and the monitoring fee was about the same price.

I hope you found some of the info helpful.
Good luck to you.

Last edited:
Not every one is capable of installing their own system so its important to find a quality company. Hardwired is always the best over the long term. But sometimes you have to go wireless. Dogs and locked doors and windows are always a good start.

There are two main financial components of home security: purchase price and ongoing monitoring. Additionally, you should also factor in the cost of tech support and repairs, if they’re not included in the cost of your system. The final consideration is not financial, but rather emotional well being – the cost of peace of mind.

You will need security that will make your home an undesirable target. That could mean an extensive system or simply some yard lighting. Some fake cameras would help. Motion detection lights are inexpensive. Best security is that which is never used. Take a look around your neighborhood to get an idea of what you really need.

(Sorry - I just noticed this was an old post by a banned member and I am not seeing a way to delete)

Last edited:
Back