metal vs shingle?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

d15eliz

Reaction score
What are thoughts on metal vs shingle roofs? Price comparison? Ease of the do it yourself? Or is there a sure way to repair the present metal roof that leaks in several spots? Need a dry home before putting a new ceiling in!

From
http://suite101.com/article/shingle-roofs-vs-metal-roofs-a32169

"
The lifetime of the composition shingle is 15 to 30 years . . .susceptible to algae growth. . .an anti-algae coating are more expensive. . .Cooling can be further enhanced with radiant barrier paint on the underside of the roof sheathing.

. . .can expect to pay about 30 percent more for a metal roof. . .steel roofs are a good choice for areas that experience high winds. . .metal roofing material only weighs approximately one seventh what a shingle roof does, putting less stress on the house's structure. . . Steel roofs are fire proof which is not only safer but may result in a lower insurance premium. . .Most metal roof manufacturers will give a guarantee of around fifty years but experts believe this is a conservative estimate. . .Some look like conventional shingles and others look like cedar shake shingles.
"
So comp shingles do better in cooler temps.

$4,000 = comp shingle cost
...............cost/year
15 =life in years $267
30 =life in years $133

$5200 = metal cost, comp cost + 30%
...................max cost/year
50 = min life in years $104

BUT, half the people move in seven years and almost all have moved by 14 years.

Decisions, decisions. . .:p

Last edited:
Currently has a metal roof, but several leaks. Not sure if it is worth patching or replacing. Do not want to proceed with interior of the home until I know roof is sound and leak proof. Trying to decide which path to choose and what is easier for the do it yourselfer...

Suggestions beside the obvious (being there when it rains) to detect leaks? I know there are five areas, some are the result of nails that were hammered through the metal and not in the truss. I will follow up with pics.

Did you get at least 50 years from your roof?

I've only owned the place a few years but it was built in 1995.

Sounds like the original metal roof was improperly installed. When done right, they don't leak. Ever.

Not a good choice for DIY if the pitch is too steep to safely walk or work on. But if everything else (besides price) is equal, I would always prefer metal to shingles. I think metal is definitely worth the additional cost, and I've lived in houses with both.

The pitch is not that steep and I've shingled roofs in the past so I'm not a complete novice, but I've never done a metal roof. I would love to repair what is there for $ reasons, but I have priced out materials for a metal roof and if need be I will do so. I definitely want to make sure before I move to the interior that the roof is leak proof! I do know that some of the leaks are due to nails that were driven into the metal and didn't make contact with the roof boards, the others I am assuming are at seams, but I have not climbed up yet and given it a real look over. There are 5 areas that leak. I have another question. Have you ever heard of using metal roofing to complete the interior ceiling? The home is 22 X 40 cathedral open ceiling with a loft at one end. I do not want to drywall and wood for the entire ceiling would be too expensive. If I would do this how would you insulate between an outer metal roof and an interior ceiling? scan0001.jpg

20NR!.jpg

Since these pictures I have replace the rotted eaves and removed the chimney. Yes, the place is rough, but the land is beautiful and when I close my eyes I can see the potential... LOL

You already have some insulation under the metal so you would do the one on the right in the picture.

insulatuin.jpg

Back