Flooring costs

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richinmd

Reaction score
What is a reasonable sq ft cost for installing porcelain tile? Including demo of existing flooring (vinyl) and installing new sub floor.

I thought $12 (excluding tile cost) would be reasonable. I am seeing $15-17 which seems high. The first estimates were from kitchen remodelers who are probably on the high end. I'm waiting to hear from a flooring guy and another contractor who I think will be more reasonable. If i matters I am in the MD area.

Home Depot was indicating 10ish but I don't trust their work. It is for a hallway, half bath, and the kitchen. Roughly 270 sq ft.

Thanks
Rich

No one here can do anything but guess. No one here can see your house, know that the rates are in your area, know what's under your floor.
Far better to stick with calling local area for prices.
$10.00 would be on the very cheap side, and your going to get what you pay for.

I have turned down a full time tile job for 10hr and that was just tiling nothing else

I agree with joe, you get what you pay for. If it were me, I would get a quote for the job not an hour price. You can have a cheap guy who works slow and an expensive guy who works fast. You are not comparing apples and organges. When I bid roofing work we NEVER give an hourly price. We give you a cost for a complete installation, Just my :2cents:

oldog/newtrick said:
I agree with joe, you get what you pay for. If it were me, I would get a quote for the job not an hour price. You can have a cheap guy who works slow and an expensive guy who works fast. You are not comparing apples and organges. When I bid roofing work we NEVER give an hourly price. We give you a cost for a complete installation, Just my :2cents:

True it should never be hourly unless it's a full time job employed by a company or you will be asking why is it taking several weeks to renovate a bathroom?!?! Lol

Wow two people agreeing with me I must be on the wrong site or there's a differant Joe your talking about. :)

joecaption said:
Wow two people agreeing with me I must be on the wrong site or there's a differant Joe your talking about. :)

Joe comment on my post about ply or osb for flooring so I can tell which joe you are lol

The OP was talking price per square foot. You guys are talking hourly price. Big difference.

samfloor said:
The OP was talking price per square foot. You guys are talking hourly price. Big difference.

You can't price a bath remodel by square foot it isn't roofing.
You get a estimate of labor not 10 bucks for tile 15 for floor one shot price and how long it will take to complete it.

Just telling you what was in the original post. The OP got bids by the square foot. And only mentioned tile installation, nothing about a remodel. Many tile installers bid by the square foot.

Just telling you what was in the original post. The OP got bids by the square foot. And only mentioned tile installation, nothing about a remodel. Many tile installers bid by the square foot.

Yes! Someone actually read my post. Most places/contractors usually quote flooring installation per square foot. Obviously the price varies depending on whether they have to tear out existing flooring, etc.

I don't expect any licensed/insured/etc. contractor to work for $10 an hour. In MD I've even had a handyman (for other work, not for the flooring) wanted $220 for the first two hrs and then $75 an hour. I thought that was outrageous. I can't believe anyone would pay him that kind of money.

I'm just finding out the price difference between going directly to the installer vs. hiring a general contractor. The last quote from a general contractor wanted about $18+ per sq foot (not including cost of the tile).

I'm waiting to hear from a couple of flooring contractors and see what they charge.

Well, there ya go trying to confuse me with the facts.;) Guess I should have my second cup of coffee before I try engaging my brain on saturday mornings. But, you still get what you pay for. Pay cheap...get cheap.

Back