Roofing Felt

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

graybeard47

Reaction score
I need to replace the felt on my patio roof that is covered with steel shacks.(4ft lengths) It was fixed by the original roofing company that the felt was inferior. My problem is that the asphalt felt used here and only here cooks itself into pieces, thus it starts to leak. So, what other felt material has more heat durability and maintains excellent water proofing?

As the patio roof pitch is much flatter than the rest of the house, another contributing factor is the overlaps on the felt are not near high enough over each other that can allow water creeping to migrate up hill. I watched the last work done and it was definitely narrower that is recommended with flatter pitches. The winds pushing the rains are usually in a constant direction but when it starts to swirl and the wind drafts have an uplift for awhile, the drips start. I have been all over the attic during these occurrences for the rest of the house and no negatives found.

The removal of the steel panels are easy and have no trouble in doing the fix. Just need a guide on the felt and the recommended overlap on the felt rows.

Thank you

Back