white clover?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qmqmqm

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

Just wondering what your opinion is regarding spreading white clover seeds in the lawn?

I have heard that clover adds Nitrogen to the soil, which is good for the grass.

However, I find that it can grow aggressively and develop a strong web of stems on the ground. The leaves can cover sunlight as well. Is this bad for the lawn? Should I be concerned that it may choke the grass?

Cheers,

Paul

I like the idea. But I'm afraid that if you're looking to get that perfect "House & Garden" type lawn, you may be disappointed. I find that clover is hard to convince to leave once it is established and it will compete with the grass. But it is tough and green and if the kids are just playing on it, why not?

Farmers plant it to amend the soil but they have a method to kill it also. Commonly they plow it under. In your yard I don’t see the point it will compete with your grass not help it.

Grass will grow on anything given it has the proper nutrients I saw a display done by PSU where they had a beautiful section of grass growing on a plate of glass. They had to constantly water and feed the grass but it grew well.

Just over seed, top dress and fertilize and you will have a beautiful green lawn. If you have a lot of weeds use a weed and feed product.

If you need to fertilize, use a slow-release nitrogen. And be sure to water it in. If it washes into a lake or pond (as could happen in a heavy rain) it will promote algae growth in the water, leaving that yucky green stuff floating on the water.

Latest posts

Back