Mold problem in basemeny

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Veteran

Reaction score
I have a big mold problem in my basement so i'm in the process of knocking down the drywalling (mold was on drywall). What should I do next? Spray bleech? Dehumidifier?

Thank you

Yes to all of the above, there may be better thing than beach but the important thing is to dry all wood to less than 20% moisture.
Have you found the cause of high moisture and what are you doing about it?

nealtw said:
Yes to all of the above, there may be better thing than beach but the important thing is to dry all wood to less than 20% moisture.
Have you found the cause of high moisture and what are you doing about it?

Thank you. I will dry the wood. Behind the drywall we have bricks. What would you reccomend i do with the bricks, pipes, and drywall ceiling?

Was there wood framing between the drywall and brick? Is the brick showing moisture coming thru. If the ceiling is dry and does not have mold it should be alright.

Brick is sure not water proof at all.
90% of the problum needs to be addressed outside.
Working gutters with down spouts that lead far from the foundation.
No mulch piled up againt the foundation.
No flower beds forming ponds.
Grade running away from the foundation.
Brick water proofed on the outside below grade.
May even need a french drain.
Without doing these things you can plan on always having a moisture issue.

I prefer installing insulating screens on such molds which totally solves such problems. Moisture seeping inside the walls does not just give a stingy smell but also weakens the foundation. Thus, proper measures should be taken.

I prefer installing insulating screens on such molds which totally solves such problems. Moisture seeping inside the walls does not just give a stingy smell but also weakens the foundation. Thus, proper measures should be taken.

None of this makes any sense...and what is a stingy smell?
Mold weakening foundations...I think I have heard it all..but I learn new things everyday.:cool:

None of this makes any sense...and what is a stingy smell?
Mold weakening foundations...I think I have heard it all..but I learn new things everyday.:cool:

This might help you understand.

IP address "180.211.108.58" is located @ India Gujarat Ahmadabad
Following is ip 180.211.108.58 location map view:

Back