Concrete Patio

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffSeb

Reaction score
I know this is more of a DIY forum, but I think this project is more than I should tackle on my own.

Our back yard is really small (a little over 9"x34"). With our house on one side and a fence on the other 3 sides the back yard doesn't really get enough sunlight to grow grass well and I end up with moss instead of grass. I was thinking of taking out our current 9x9 concrete patio out and pouring a slab over the whole back area.

I think I will try to do most of the prep work of removing the current patio and digging out the area for the new.

I would like to have the slab textured and stained like this if it is within reason.
Triangle20Concrete.jpg

My question is what is a reasonable amount to pay to have a contractor come in and do the work?
Is there anything else that I could do to lower the cost by doing it myself?

I have found quite a few DIY concrete stains, is any one better than another?

9 X 34, oh the joys of living in the city.
And why will the grass not grow. There has to be a reason. Over hanging trees that need to be thinned out, poor soil ECT.
A sold concrete back yard would be a huge turn off as a selling point.
You may think your going to save money by trying to do some of the work but once you figure out just how much is involved to cut it up, remove and and poring you will soon figure out your way over your head on this one.
What you see in that picture is stamped concrete. It's pored and a rubber stamp is laid down and jumped on to emboss the look of stone. It can be done to look like brick, slate, stone etc.
Most are not stained, the ground up dust from what your trying to get it to look like is thrown over the concrete.
If you want a real word price then your going to have to start calling some concrete finishers in your area. Not many do stamping because one stamp can cost around $500.00.
Any concrete supplier can give you some phone #'s of people that do this all the time.

Last edited:
9 X 34, oh the joys of living in the city.
:eek: it's true, but we do have grass in front and a 50x50 lawn on the side.

And why will the grass not grow. There has to be a reason. Over hanging trees that need to be thinned out, poor soil ECT.
a) I live in WA, so most of the year there isn't really direct sunlight giving the grass much anyway, though watering is normally not an issue until August. b)it is adjacent to the house and has a 8ft fence on 3 sides blocking the little light it would get. c) all but about 1/3 of it will grow in the summer pretty well, but the rest of the year its just too muddy to want to use.

A sold concrete back yard would be a huge turn off as a selling point.
You may think your going to save money by trying to do some of the work but once you figure out just how much is involved to cut it up, remove and and poring you will soon figure out your way over your head on this one.
The further i get into the research phase it looks like the demo/prep work will be done by myself. Leaving the setting up and finishing to the professionals.

What you see in that picture is stamped concrete. It's pored and a rubber stamp is laid down and jumped on to emboss the look of stone. It can be done to look like brick, slate, stone etc.
:agree:

So far local bids have come in anywhere from $11,500 down to $1,100.
I don't want to take the cheapest just to save money and not be happy with the results, but I also don't want to pay an exorbinate price on the same work. Just wondering what a middle of the road bid would be.

You want to divide this job up as much as posible as the one contracter for the whole job is usually more money and less controll for you. Find a bobcat operator with a hammer attachment for removal, he can break up old pad in minutes and remove the waiste concrete and soil and bring in required gravel. Find out what is required in your area. You do need gravel base and drain around perimiter, the people next door won't like your water. You can rent a plate compacter and stake in the frame yourself and have the concrete placer just place the concrete. If you are having it stamped don't leave your stakes higher than your frame as they will be in the way.

Back