What kind of trim do I put on the side and back of this dishwasher?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Normally I don't see a sink and dishwasher in the island; in fact, I don't think I have ever seen that as the only components of the island. Can i ask why you're doing it that way? my curiosity needs to be scratched.

So then I would need to screw through wood --> tile --> concrete? A Tapcon can do this without shattering the tile?

That's what your roto-hammer is for.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Hampton...CH=REC-_-rv_mobileweb_rr-_-NA-_-300805399-_-N

This is what I need for the dishwasher end. The back should be 60"x34.5".

That should work, although aesthetically, I prefer the face frame to match the width of the sink base face frame.

I had planned on putting the GFCI inside the sink cabinet on the end. I didn't think I had any other option. You are saying I should extend the length of the island a few inches so that a work box will fit?

You should have them on both ends, because your counter work area is over the DW.

What is the definition of rough top? I can't find it on Google. Is it a type of granite?

We use 5/8 CDX plywood, C side up.

Normally I don't see a sink and dishwasher in the island; in fact, I don't think I have ever seen that as the only components of the island. Can i ask why you're doing it that way? my curiosity needs to be scratched.

It's the only way the kitchen will work. Oven needs to be near wall because that's where the 50 amp outlet is.

Do you know how I anchor the dishwasher?

That's what your roto-hammer is for.

That should work, although aesthetically, I prefer the face frame to match the width of the sink base face frame.

You should have them on both ends, because your counter work area is over the DW.

We use 5/8 CDX plywood, C side up.

Okay. The only thing I don't understand is how to anchor the dishwasher.

It's going to be 3 cm so I won't need plywood.

Last edited:
Okay. The only thing I don't understand is how to anchor the dishwasher.

It's going to be 3 cm so I won't need plywood.

From post #17;"A roughtop simplifies everything, the stability of the overhang, anchoring the DW, attaching the DW FEP and that end of the finished back panel."

The two DW anchor brackets, on the top, just behind the top of the door are screwed into the plywood.

Or, you can drill into the granite, with your roto-hammer, set and anchor and a screw.

You anchor the top of the DW FEP, the same way, using "L" brackets.

The SDS masonry bits will cost more than the plywood.

Last edited:
From post #17;"A roughtop simplifies everything, the stability of the overhang, anchoring the DW, attaching the DW FEP and that end of the finished back panel."

The two DW anchor brackets, on the top, just behind the top of the door are screwed into the plywood.

Or, you can drill into the granite, with your roto-hammer, set and anchor and a screw.

You anchor the top of the DW FEP, the same way, using "L" brackets.

The SDS masonry bits will cost more than the plywood.

Doesn't the dishwasher only have 2 panels? Back and side? And maybe another in front to the right of the dishwasher that is a few inches wide to make room for the GFCI?

Is it at all necessary to anchor the DW to the ground? Or just the underside of the granite?

Typically dishwashers are just anchored to the underside of the counter. Though I've never done one to granite.

Okay. I don't suppose it should be any different, though.

I don't think it is, especially if you have plywood under the granite. If you have a thick slab I believe they drill holes and glue in a threaded anchor point for the DW screws. At least I believe that is how it is done.

I don't think it is, especially if you have plywood under the granite. If you have a thick slab I believe they drill holes and glue in a threaded anchor point for the DW screws. At least I believe that is how it is done.

Exactly! It's the same process as in an undermount SS sink.

With the plywood you don't need the SDS masonry bits or the anchors.

Doesn't the dishwasher only have 2 panels? Back and side? And maybe another in front to the right of the dishwasher that is a few inches wide to make room for the GFCI?

Is it at all necessary to anchor the DW to the ground? Or just the underside of the granite?

Typically, the boxes are installed horizontally, in the end panel, which makes them less aesthetically insulting.

The DW shape is rounded on the sides and with a 2 or 2-1/2 face frame gives you plenty of room for a standard box.

The DW sets on leveling legs and the top anchoring points are not just to hold them in place, they are also a tip over prevention.

On my island I installed the electrical box inside the cabinet and then installed a plug strip on the underside of the countertop.

I just spoke with the granite guy. He said plywood is not necessary for this 3 cm granite.

Do you have a picture of this? I can't find anything on Google. I get the part about fastening the sink cabinet to 2x4's, but not how to fasten the dishwasher.

New dishwashers usually have flanges on them that allow you to connect them to the cabinet (or plywood next to them). Even if they don't the counter installers usually attach the counter to the top (there is a flat ledge just behind the door) of the dishwasher keeping it from moving.

I don't have a picture in an Island setting, but here's one from a traditional end setup. The difference being you will need a panel behind all this going from the sink cabinet to the corner. You would then either put finished panels on top to match the cabinet or do some other sort of decorative finishing (bead board, tile, etc...)

maxresdefault (1).jpg

My Bosch dishwasher had tabs on the side for attaching to the side cabinet/panel instead of the top. Worked fine.

Dave Mason

Back