Is it brick or plaster?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sonofabuilder

Reaction score
I'm working on exposing the brick on my chimney but can't tell if I'm chiseling too deep. The brick exposed at the base of the chimney is a light gray, and so as I'm chiseling through the plaster on the chimney on my second floor I worry that I'm chiseling through the brick. How can I tell if this is what I'm doing?

Welcome to the site. You should be able to see the difference but key word is should. How deep have you chiseled and can you post a photo.

I am about 5/8 of an inch into the wall. I've attached a picture as an aid. Would there be any reason that the chimney isn't constructed if the same materials from top to bottom? The wall I'm chiseling into is not an addition so I thought the chimney would be the same. Although the brick on the chimney on top of the house is red, whereas the basement brick is grey. I'm getting more confused the deeper I explore.

Thanks for your help.

image.jpg

A 3 coat plaster wall may be up to 7/8" thick and usually 1/4" wood lath behind that.
So you have assumed the the brick will be good looking when it is exposed and that it should be right behind the plaster.
Both those assumptions may be right but not for sure.
You are not there yet, you will start to see the morter lines between the brick.
When the built the chimney they built a rough in shape and then the finished what would be exposed, if this was never ment to be exposed, you will find the rough chimney with whatever was the cheaper brick of the day. If it was plastered right on the brick you will not find the wood lath.

Latest posts

Back