Can I shampoo and shop vac my carpets?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

planehopr

Reaction score
Back in 1995 I worked at a car dealership as a lot porter. I had to clean many cars. I was taught to use a shampoo on the upholstery and use a shop vac to vacuum up the moisture. The simple materials cleaned up very nicely. I don't even know if that was an appropriate way to clean car carpet, but it always did a nice job at refreshing things.

I have a couple well traffic'd areas of my house. I've spilled coffee there too. Its not a big enough area that warrent getting my house steam cleaned or renting the device at the grocery store, but its larger than I can do easily with a bottle of resolve or something. I want to know if I can spray and work in a little stain remover, shampoo, and suck all that stuff up with a shop vac to refresh the carpet like I did on cars when I was a kid.

Any suggestions on if this could work, and what inexpensive products I should use. Total areas in my house that need to be hit like this might be under 25 square feet.

Carpets are put together with latex glue. Don't get it too wet or it will delaminate. Also the pad will mold if it gets too wet.

Best product I've found for this is 'spot-shot' comes in an aerosol can and foams up. if you work it in with a stiff bristle brush, similar to a dish-brush then vacuum it out, it works. I have never used it on a large area, but it takes red wine right out of carpet.

I You can shampoo the carpets but you need to dry them quickly so that they not lost their shine

Last edited:
Back