DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > HVAC > Questions on indirect water heaters

Old 02-15-2017, 07:38 PM  
drabina

Thanks for all the replies. Direct swap for indirect water heater would be the easiest but I am still contemplating standard gas water heater. New gas line shouldn't be a problem as it already runs across the whole basement to the boiler and dryer. The issue may be the flue if I can't reuse the existing one from the boiler.

As to the efficiency, I read that the indirect ones are more efficient but somehow I am still not sold on the boiler running in the summertime. Basement has no A/C and currently in wintertime the air temperature is very high. Can't imagine what it will be during hot jersey summer.

Old 02-15-2017, 07:49 PM  
nealtw
Contractor retired

Liked 2665 Times on 2339 Posts
Likes Given: 4389

Quote:
Originally Posted by drabina View Post
Thanks for all the replies. Direct swap for indirect water heater would be the easiest but I am still contemplating standard gas water heater. New gas line shouldn't be a problem as it already runs across the whole basement to the boiler and dryer. The issue may be the flue if I can't reuse the existing one from the boiler.

As to the efficiency, I read that the indirect ones are more efficient but somehow I am still not sold on the boiler running in the summertime. Basement has no A/C and currently in wintertime the air temperature is very high. Can't imagine what it will be during hot jersey summer.
So have you considered insulating the room the boiler is in with venting to the outside that can be open in the summer?

Old 02-15-2017, 07:56 PM  
drabina

Quote:
Originally Posted by nealtw View Post
So have you considered insulating the room the boiler is in with venting to the outside that can be open in the summer?
I was thinking about that. Again, I am not an expert on HVAC but if I vent the hot air to the outside, wouldn't it draw either conditioned air from the house or humid air thru the windows/cracks? I may be replacing one problem (heat) with another (loss of a/c efficiency or humidity).

Old 02-15-2017, 08:14 PM  
nealtw
Contractor retired

Liked 2665 Times on 2339 Posts
Likes Given: 4389

Quote:
Originally Posted by drabina View Post
I was thinking about that. Again, I am not an expert on HVAC but if I vent the hot air to the outside, wouldn't it draw either conditioned air from the house or humid air thru the windows/cracks? I may be replacing one problem (heat) with another (loss of a/c efficiency or humidity).
You do benefit from the heat off the boiler in the winter time so perhaps just a bathroom fan in the ceiling to run only when the boiler is running in the summer time.

Old 02-15-2017, 08:57 PM  
frodo

Liked 1062 Times on 837 Posts
Likes Given: 379

1 and 1/2 times the size of the largest flue opening

your flue pipe will have to be resized, if the largest apliances has a 6'' flue

then the new flue will have to be 9'' or round up to 10'', they do not make 9''

and, if the furnce is a positive air flow [fan assisted]

then it has to tied in below the water heater..see image
Click image for larger version

Name:	CommonVent1Fixed.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	113.5 KB
ID:	13601  

My advice is free, If I have helped you and you wish to help the site out with a gift
use this link
http://www.houserepairtalk.com/forum/...faq=supporting

Last edited by frodo; 02-15-2017 at 09:01 PM.

Old 02-16-2017, 11:15 AM  
slownsteady
Administrator
HRT_ADMIN.png

Liked 1041 Times on 859 Posts
Likes Given: 1708

If your boiler is throwing off so much heat, then that could change the equation. I put in the BoilerMate when I replaced my boiler and it is still fairly efficient and well insulated (doesn't throw much excess heat).
Which leads me to ask, what kind of boiler do you have and how old is it?

Old 02-17-2017, 02:13 PM  
drabina

Quote:
Originally Posted by slownsteady View Post
Which leads me to ask, what kind of boiler do you have and how old is it?
I have Dunkirk gas boiler model XEB-5. I have no idea how old is it but could be from late 80s.

I bought the house in November so the heating was already on. Part of the basement that has the boiler and exposed heat pipes is very warm. The adjacent finished basement is normal temperature but wouldn't need the heat on if we keep the doors open between the two sections. Of course the part of the house directly above the basement with boiler is also noticeably warmer due to the heat rising up.

Old 02-17-2017, 02:24 PM  
slownsteady
Administrator
HRT_ADMIN.png

Liked 1041 Times on 859 Posts
Likes Given: 1708

I've noticed on my setup that I can detect more heat loss from the pipes than the boiler itself; It's pretty easy to insulate pipes in a basement...if they are exposed.