Bathroom Lighting

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PghNinja

Reaction score
I have a bathroom sized about 8' x 10'. I'd like to add a ceiling mounted light but had someone mention the humidity may be a fire/electrical hazard.

I was wondering if this is accurate with steam / humidity, and if there was anything I could do to mitigate it, or get a particular type of ceiling light to prevent?

Thanks!

I have a bathroom sized about 8' x 10'. I'd like to add a ceiling mounted light but had someone mention the humidity may be a fire/electrical hazard.

I was wondering if this is accurate with steam / humidity, and if there was anything I could do to mitigate it, or get a particular type of ceiling light to prevent?

Thanks!

There are vent-a-light fixtures available that effectively restrict moisture intrusion, and vent the accumulated moisture mitigating the propagation of mold from that accumulated moisture.

Running the vent for a few min. after a shower, increases the effectiveness.

Your bathroom must be vented (fan) or have a window. In either case, if the moisture build-up becomes a fire hazard you will have mold too.

Look online at bathrooms to see what is being done with lighting so you don't do some '80's retro mistake. Lots of combo fan/light units out there. Sconces are very trendy and even chandeliers in large bathrooms. You can also go with LED recessed lights for energy efficiency and lighting. Go with wood framed mirrors (large single or picture framed doubles).

Good luck!

bathroom 1.jpg

bathroom 2.jpg

Irrespective of venting, just look for a fixture that's UL listed for "Damp Locations". You'll find that lots of surface mounted and recessed fixtures will have that rating.

Irrespective of venting, just look for a fixture that's UL listed for "Damp Locations". You'll find that lots of surface mounted and recessed fixtures will have that rating.

And make sure it's vented to daylight or we will have a discussion of another topic.

The wholesale belief of dire consequences from moisture for not having either a window or vent, is a bit overblown. If you have a window, it's probably never opened in the winter in colder climates. If you have a vent, they're rarely used long enough to draw out much moisture.
What is more important is how your house is constructed and insulated with vapor barriers.

Back