New granite - is this acceptable

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pb2

Reaction score
Hi,

I just had a new granite counter top installed in a new bathroom. We don't have much experience with this kind of thing and noticed this on the back splash (see image). The line you can observe is not stone, but something softer (some kind of epoxy).

Is this kind of thing acceptable? I know natural stone isn't perfect, but in my opinion this looks bad.

How can they fix something like this? Is it possible to remove the backsplash or will they have to replace the whole counter top?

I haven't been able to connect with the stone person yet, but should I expect push back?

Thanks,
PB3

622183768_PLrZo-M.jpg

622183725_BS88y-M.jpg

A granite top is expensive and this would not be acceptable in my book.

Appears to be a saw mark that has been filled with some sort of filler, it would not be acceptable in my book either, unless they were to issue a tremendous discount.

Butch

Yeah, I would think a saw mark or perhaps an irregular chip maybe made by a screwdriver or something. Definitely not acceptable to me either.

pb2,

There may have been no more (matching) granite available to match what you have there and to remake the splash. And they may be simply trying to pull one over on you. Who knows?:)

What you are seeing there is a saw cut and a very poor attempt at hiding it. If there is no more material for them to make you a new replacement splash then ask them to gouge whatever filler they have in that cut and do a better job of filling it again.

To answer your question...NO! That is in no way acceptable as-is.:)

Are they paid in full?

PB2:

I wouldn't accept that either. But, if it wuz me, I'd probably settle for a discount on the price charged. If you paid for a perfect granite top, you should get a perfect granite top. What you've got there was someone's mistake, and the company that installed it knows there's a problem with that top.

I'm thinking a fair and reasonable amount would be 10 to 20% of the price knocked off.

Wow. That looks bad... I also wouldn't accept that. I'm sure there's something wrong with it. Show it to the people who installed it. I'm sure they know it. And yeah, 10-20% price knock off is quite good.

Not to sound like a broken record, but absolutely not. Unless you were given a discount and told the reason for the discount upfront was due to manufacturing errors, then there is not way I would accept that.

Back