gyprock cutting

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulh

Reaction score
well here goes.
I am installing, or wishing to, gyprock in a cabin that has been built by using logs, not very straight ones!!!!
My question: is there a tool and method in being able to somehow trace the odd outlines onto the sheet so that when installed it will match up to the NON-straight lines??

The best way I have found is to use a standard compass, the circle drawing type. Push the board against the wall and set the compass to the width of the furthest point from the board. Keep the point and the pencil as dead level as you can, trace the profile of the logs directly on the board.

It's not exact, but it will get you very close. Painter's caulk will get you tight, but I prefer to leave a crack. The logs, in older log homes, will move. Newer engineered logs are a bit more stable. Stuff insulation in before you install the board and seal it up, and it will help deaden noise and air currents from room to room.

Back