Help with inset deck stairs

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mitchm

Reaction score
I need some help with building our deck stairs. Our design calls for the deck stairs to be inset 4 feet back from the front edge of the deck. This was done for asthetics, as well as to provide more run for the stairs.

Structurally, the deck consists of 6X6 post on concrete footing with a triple 2X10 beam under the floor joists. The footings are 8 feet from the cottage, spaced 7 feet apart. The deck joists are 2X8 X10 (2 foot cantilever at front edge of the deck). The ledger is bolted to the rim joist of the cottage.

We would like the stairs to start 4 feet in from the front edge of the deck. What I need some help with is the support for the stairs. They can't rest on the triple 2X10 beam, so do I need to add footings to support the stairs?

Hello, the ideal would be the stairs to seat on footings( right underneath the stringer) or a path of concrete at the bottom. On the top of the stairs, it has to be screwed or bolted properly. Good Luck!

Back