Hardwood sheets on studs.

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garlandkr

Reaction score
I put in-wall speakers into a small room which has hardwood (masonite) panels mounted on studs. Obviously not ideal, but cheap and it was not my work.

Now I need to replace the panels as I'm moving.

Would it wise to just remove the entire panel where the speaker cut-outs are and replace each one? I'm thinking that any kind of patch work on the massive 6-1/2" x 3" rectangular holes would be near impossible to seal up on this material.

I doubt you would be able to patch the holes. So if you can get matching panels that would be the way to go.

or just cut out the section from stud to stud and replace the portion with the holes in it.

or just cut out the section from stud to stud and replace the portion with the holes in it.

that's another good idea. if i get the pieces flush what kind of taping should I do to remove any lines?

So I used a multi-tool to cut out the hardwood and replace it with a new piece. There is an 1/8" gap on the right side where you can see the stud. Any recommendations for a filler to use, or should I just use regular drywall putty?

2013-06-09 20.41.11.jpg

Back