Lock Installation

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

randr

Reaction score
I recently installed some Emtek hardware (entries and deadbolts) and could not turn the entry tumbler so the key would be oriented the same way (notches up) for both locks. I had been told years ago by a locksmith that to avoid moisture and dirt build-up problems, the tumbler pins should always point down. Emtek says it's their design problem but it's not important. What's the truth?

well, you should always install a deadbolt or any lockset to where the cylinder allows the key to inter the keyway with the cuts up. This allows the "pins" on the inside of the cylinder to fall down freely and not get stuck in the open position,. its only for security reasons though and nothings else. as a locksmith a for 10 plus years, I've seen lots of key cylinders installed upside down...they still work. (they're more difficlut to pick though)

Was your entry lock a lever model?
I think most if not all keyed levers have the key way in the horizontal position.
I have never had a problem with this situation...
Just takes a little getting used to.
RC/DG

Back