How to cover fibers in paint?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philbob

Reaction score
I just finished painting a wall (shouldn't have done it-it was too dark) and now I see that there are roller fibers all over the wall. How can I cover them? Will another coat do the job or do I need to do something else first? This is dark red paint and it's been hard to work with already and now this. Any ideas?

Welcome PhilBob:
What a heartbreaker! Wow, all that time and material wasted.
I would use a light sandpaper to smooth out the fibers. Then I would consider an airless spray gun (Wagner or other) for a smooth, flawless job; no lap marks and no fibers. Yes, it will require some good masking but it may be worth the trouble.
Glenn

Fibers from a paint roller are caused by either rolling on too dry, trying to spread the paint too far or a poor quality roller cover. It's very important to apply enough paint to keep your finish smooth and your equipment working properly and good equipment is always a good place to start a project.

120 grit sandpaper on a drywall sanding block or a pole sander with 100-120 grit screens will get your walls back to smooth.

Back