deck footing

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timinga

Reaction score
The footing for one of our deck posts sits below grade. I am replacing the post and would like to raise the footing to be above grade, which would require about 6" in new concrete. Can I pour over the current footing or should I tear out and start from scratch?

Tim

Drill some holes and put a couple junks of rebar in to make joint between old and new. Treated 6x6 is rated for in ground use.

It would make sence to leave in the current footing and drill into the top and insert a couple of steel rods so that when you pour the new concrete on top it binds to the rods and ties the footing together. A steel rod in the centre and then a central hole in the bottom of the timber post. Drop the post down over this rod.
This way you wont get any water trapped between the post and the concrete.

Job Done!

Rater: Welcome to the site. Tim dosn't want to leave rebare sticking up because he will want to slide the post in under the deck that is there, he should use a post saddle in the top of the concrete.

Before I'd consider adding 6" of concrete to a deck footing, I'd first make an attempt to determine both the condition and depth of that footing. If it's too shallow (above frost line) or the concrete is suspect, then the better option would be to just completely remove and replace to an adequate depth. And an easier sequence for doing that is to temporarily support the deck adjacent to the post being replaced, yank the post and footing, dig the new footing hole to proper depth, tamp the bottom, then install the new post (with steel stand-off bracket having bottom anchor rod/fins, attached to the bottom of the post) suspended over the hole and attached to the deck framework. Final step is filling the hole/form with new concrete up to the bottom of the bracket, and of course removing the forms and temporary supports.

I've replaced a few deck posts in my day, and would never do it the hard way again (trying to scoot the post/anchor assembly into the tight-fit space created by the new concrete).

The footing is 20 years old. I spoke to a guy at one of the big DIY stores and he recommended using concrete patching to just even out the top of the footing, which would not take much patching. The ground can be moved some since most of it is hidden by the stairs. I would need to drill a hole for the bolt to secure the bracket to the footing. Our old post just rested on top of the footing.

Latest posts

Back