Jacking a wall

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SilverthorneA

Reaction score
I'm new to carpentry, but my dad is a retired carpenter so I have knowledge on the subject.

I was having a debate with a co-worker about jacking a wall.

If you're replacing a wall and the existing rafters sag a little do you need to jack them or just make the wall the proper height and put the top plate in place and jam the wall in?

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks

Aaron

Welcome to the site. Depending on the rest of the story. Everything should be held in place while the wall is removed.
So is the wall still in place, how long is the wall, how many rafters are effected?

Usually one of the walls is leaning outward with a roof sag (non-structural ridge board)- unless the framing cuts were gaped really big at install...lol. The rafter ties/ceiling joists could have loosened at the fasteners. After checking the ridge for straight-line elevation, and the walls are still both plumb, yet there is a sag in the roof at the wall line.... the wall has sagged/settled and I would find the reason -- then adjust wall height if needed. (After checking the bottom plate/foundation wall for straight... measure the wall height at ends/middle to be sure.)

Gary

Latest posts

Back