Need a wiring diagram for this one

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

csda634

Reaction score
Hey everyone, first time poster-long time follower.

I'm doing my bathroom over and want to rig up the electrical smarter. I want to wire a single pole switch to two wall sconces next to the mirror and then wire a outlet on the left that is always hot.

So the feed comes in from the attic down the wall into the switch on the right. Then goes up and over to the right wall sconce then to the left wall sconce. Then the power goes over to the far left to wire an always hot GFCI outlet.

Its a 20 amp circuit. I have 12-2 and 12-3 wire available. I would like to do this the correct way (to code).

Thank you in advance.

12/3 from the switch to light1 to light 2. 12/2 from light2 to GFCI.
At the switch
Connect power black to 12/3 black and switch.
Connect all whites together.
Connect red to switch.

At lights.
Connect all whites together and to lights
Connect all black.
Connect reds to each other and to light black.
At the second light you will end up with the 12/2 cable to the GFCI connected to the black and whites.
At the GFCI connect per normal.

Joe, red is connected to the switch so wouldn't this connect to the lights, not the black?

Get a deep box for switch location. Switch lights. Bring separate feeder over to GFCI and avoid extra wiring.

Wiring:
12-2 hot into switch box. Grounds together with pigtail for switch.
Blacks as follows: From lights will connect to switch. From GFCI will go into wire nut. From hot goes into wire nut. Add pigtail from wire nut and go to switch.
Whites as follows: all 3 under one wire nut with no pig tail.

At light box #1 pigtail white, black, ground and connect white to white, ground to ground, black to black to feed light box#2.

Back