help with new windows

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michael114

Reaction score
I've just purchased two new construction windows with the intention of pulling off my vinyl siding, putting up a moister barrier, installing the windows and putting the siding back on. The problem is that the old wooden windows has around a 1-1/4 trim around the window while the new one's don't. And if I just move the j - channel over to butt up along the new window the siding will end up being 5'' to short.
Could I fill the gap with some pvc trim board and just apply some caulking along the edges or is that a bad idea. I don't believe I can return the window's as they are a custom size. And I don't recall seeing any aluminum clad windows with any exterior trim. Any advice would be appreciated thanks. Michael

If you happened to purchase Jeld-wen vinyl you can order a flush fin adapter to attach to the outside of the window. That could possibly reduce or eliminate the gap. I can't remember exactly how wide it is.

Latest posts

Back