Metal breaks

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cranbrook2

Extreme birdhouse builder
Reaction score
i, am looking to buy a 5 ft metal break but have know idea what and where to look .
i live2 hrs west of Toronto.

Hey Cranbrook:
I would look at Pawn shops, estate auctions and some yard sales. Many sheet metal shops use a 4' or 5' brake; perhaps you could look for one of them that has gone out of business to buy one. You will find many more metalworking tools there also.
You might also check the Harbor Freight catalog and Grainger if they are in your area.
Glenn

Call some siders first. Some guys have stuff they have not used in years or know someone who does.
Us contractors also like to get the latest and greatest stuff. This gives us an excuse to update....and explain it to the wife.;)

Thanks for the great ideas
i think it would be great if i can find a used one.
i will definitely try contacting some siding companies to see if any of them have any used ones .
thanks again :)
john

Im just curious. Im a sider. Are you a roofer and want it for chimney and wall flashing?
other than that, I wouldnt do without a 10' 6" break

Bridgewater said:
Im just curious. Im a sider. Are you a roofer and want it for chimney and wall flashing?
other than that, I wouldnt do without a 10' 6" break

Hi Bob and thanks for the reply.
i build birdhouses and i was thinking about doing some roofs in copper and i thought the best way would to buy a break to bend the copper or metals.
i have been using barn steel on some of the houses but because of the profile on the steel it doesn,t look right when its near a hip or valley. too hard to seal all the seams properly.
john

IMG_0001.JPG

IMG_0002.JPG

That's cool John I was wondering what them short breaks are good for. LOL
Hey How big are the bird houses? I have also seen 3' 6" breaks might be cheaper for you than a 5'. You can go to any siding suppler and order one!

Regards
Bob

Hi Bob
I think a 3 1/2 ft break would be perfect. the sheets are 3 ft x 8 ft
the largest house i am working on now is 9 ft long .
the roof will be a cottage roof with dormers .7 different roofs :D

i,ll post a pic when i find one.
thanks again.
john

P6090001-1.JPG

PIC00452-1.JPG

Very nice looking work Cranbrook!! I might suggest checking Ebay from time to time. Also there are other auction sites like Ubid and Yahoo auctions that get some odd stuff from time to time. Nice pics and welcome.

MTC:D

Thank you MTC
nice to meet you
i will check them out.
john

Back