Bad Well Pump or Something Else?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pumps rarely offer a warning when they are going to die. Generally to make it worse, they go out on Saturday afternoon.

What could have happened was the pump not shutting off because of several possible reasons. When this happens, the water in the pump has nowhere to go and no fresh cool water is being introduced to the pump. So the water gets up to boiling temps from friction and either nukes a couple of impellers or the pipe above the pump; or both where the water is the hottest. This could also be what took it out. That's where jet pumps have it over on subs. You can generally hear them when they are running and shouldn't be.

Thanks, Speedbump. I was curious as I'm wondering if the well is running dry, or the pump had seized due to other reasons. With the pump being a good 11 years old, I'd like to think it was time, and the guys who pulled it agree that it was getting old. There was quite a bit of sludge on the lower tubes when they pulled it.

I'm hoping to have some time tonight and be able to try disassembling the old pump out of curiosity.

Vince

11 Years is a good long life for one. There isn't much to take apart on the motor, but if you can get either end of the pump unscrewed you will have a slew of impellers and diffusers. It would be interesting to see if some of them are nuked. Most pumps have two screws that hold the ends in place. ((Not that they can come unscrewed by themselves)) Take them out, put the center of the pump in a large vice, take a 24" pipe wrench and try to unscrew the discharge end. It ain't easy.

Back