3-way wiring issue

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MSU Fan

Reaction score
Ok, so I am replacing all the outlets and switches in my house with white. In doing so, there are a couple of 3 way switch setups. Now, I am a pretty simple guy, so my thought is pull the existing switch, wire in the wires in the same spots on the new switch and voila - the switch works. If only life were that simple.

On the one setup, this little plan worked perfect. On the second setup, not so much. On the second setup, the one switch is acting like a master (operating on and off as it should), but the second is acting like a slave. If the master is off, then the slave won't do anything. But if the master is on, then the slave works as it should. Do I have some wires wired in oppositely? How do I correct this please! Thanks!

One screw on the switch is marked common, it gets the black wire and the white wire goes to the silver screw.

am I supposed to be looking at the master or slave? I assume the master, but I don't want to jump to conclusions yet.

Three way switches are not all the same. The common screw is not in the same place on all of them. You need to identify the common screw and put that wire on the common screw of the new switch. The common screw is the black one. The problem sould be at either one of the switches.

Looks like I just had a loose wire on the "master" switch. Thanks for the help!

Back