What are you watching?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
^^^ What he said lol. That and the fact that good zombie movies/shows seem to be rare to find. At least for me they are. Dawn of the dead was the last good zombie movie that I have seen in a while.

Agreed on that one.

I like both versions but the 1978 version is amazing.

I tried watching the Day of the Dead remake. I turned it off it was so terrible.

^ oh my, dawn of the dead WAS good. i wouldn't mind watching that right now, haven't seen it in about 5 years

Agreed on that one.

I like both versions but the 1978 version is amazing.

I tried watching the Day of the Dead remake. I turned it off it was so terrible.

Another huge disappointment was land of the dead. (i think that was the name) Very cheesy, especially when they tried to show that the "zombies" were capable of learning and reasoning and using guns and stuff. That's just like anti-zombie lol.

I lost my copy of dawn of the dead so until I go out and buy another one I can't watch it :( Its been about 5 years or so since the last time I saw it too. The down with the sickness cover in the new one was AWESOME lol!

Last edited:
Another huge disappointment was land of the dead. (i think that was the name) Very cheesy, especially when they tried to show that the "zombies" were capable of learning and reasoning and using guns and stuff. That's just like anti-zombie lol.

I lost my copy of dawn of the dead so until I go out and buy another one I can't watch it :( Its been about 5 years or so since the last time I saw it too. The down with the sickness cover in the new one was AWESOME lol!

I had mixed feelings.

Bud in the end of Day of the Dead was the path they were taking with the smart zombie idea and Land of ended up being an execution of that idea.

I think in way of post apocalypse it was better then a lot out there.

Much of zombie fiction focuses on the immediate outbreak and not on what happens a few years down the road.

I liked it for those reasons, but I disliked it for many more.

Diary of the Dead was a cool concept and I really liked it.

My wife and I are "Fringe" fans and have watched it since it began. Pretty cool if you are into theoretical sci-fi type shows. Its on the Fox network.
Blue Bloods is a good family of cops show with good old fashioned values.
And there is a new one thats somewhat intrigueing called Person Of Interest. I hope we aren't too close to the technology in that one?!

This Old House on Saturday mornings sometimes. :D

Last edited:
Never saw Diary of the Dead, will have to look into it. The idea of a smart zombie just goes against everything that is traditional zombie lore for me. The whole concept is everything in the brain shuts down except for the need to feed essentially, which would make learning impossible with that part of the brain shut down. Of course we are talking about zombies which is something that is already made up so I guess there are no real rules about it lol. I completely agree about the initial outbreak thing but not a few years down the road. I would love to see a movie like that! Or maybe a series that covers it all :)

Never saw Diary of the Dead, will have to look into it. The idea of a smart zombie just goes against everything that is traditional zombie lore for me. The whole concept is everything in the brain shuts down except for the need to feed essentially, which would make learning impossible with that part of the brain shut down. Of course we are talking about zombies which is something that is already made up so I guess there are no real rules about it lol. I completely agree about the initial outbreak thing but not a few years down the road. I would love to see a movie like that! Or maybe a series that covers it all :)

Zombie movies for the most part are a homage to the culture making them.

Night fixated on racism.

Dawn on Consumerism

Day on Science.

I think the coming of the smart zombies is in part due to the fact a lot of people are already zombies, only looking to "wake up" from the nightmare of their realities.

The transition as well can be seen as a type of catharsis required for a cultural awakening. You must suffer to change. Change is inevitable. Suffering is therefore inevitable and will sweep a culture if not properly stopped (which is never is).

I think the coming of the smart zombies is in part due to the fact a lot of people are already zombies, only looking to "wake up" from the nightmare of their realities.

That's actually a really good point. I have never actually looked deeper into any of the zombie movies for reasoning like that, but I really like your take on it. I have to agree with you about the whole everyone already being zombies as it is. I have often said that a lot of people now days are nothing more than mindless drones going through the motions of a life.

That's actually a really good point. I have never actually looked deeper into any of the zombie movies for reasoning like that, but I really like your take on it. I have to agree with you about the whole everyone already being zombies as it is. I have often said that a lot of people now days are nothing more than mindless drones going through the motions of a life.

I think we all feel that way sometimes. When you consider the differences are minimal compared to the similarities it really becomes a matter of perception that keeps you from becoming one of the mindless masses.

The difference is in knowing. Those who mindlessly fill the void versus those who pay attention and still fill the void.

I think we all feel that way sometimes. When you consider the differences are minimal compared to the similarities it really becomes a matter of perception that keeps you from becoming one of the mindless masses.

The difference is in knowing. Those who mindlessly fill the void versus those who pay attention and still fill the void.

This kinda goes along the lines of why I'm not a fan of higher education institutes. Instead of teaching people to be innovative and think outside of the box, most colleges ruin that creativity by teaching the students that this is the only right way to do something. A good example is a computer class that I almost failed because I was using short cuts. It was for simple microsoft word and part of the test asked you to copy and paste something so I hit ctrl c and ctrl v. It was marked wrong because they wanted you to do it the "right way" even though both ways were right. By the time you get out 4 years later, you have no clue how to handle something out of the ordinary. They are pretty much teaching people on a mass level to be mindless drones that are not capable of any form of innovation. Its really sad to see all of these great minds going to waste :(

I just got bored with the NASCAR qualifying at Homestead and switched to to TCM (Turner Classic Movies) to see the "Inn of the Sixth Happiness" with Ingrid Bergman.

Tomorrow, for NASCAR, I will tune if after most of "tank bumping" is over and watch the last 4 laps that will take 20 minutes or more depending on the White/Green/Checker finish and the commercials that require the "breaks". - You don't see that garbage on a dirt track race.

Dick

Is it me or has NASCAR turned into something boring...since Earnhart died? I wasn't a 3 fan, but I've slowly lost interest since then.

Dale was a great "tank driver" and everyone avoided him. Now, the cars are all generic and built to bump others around as you are forced to do on a small, short track with 43 cars on it. Not like when there was such a thing as "stock car" racing.

It is all dictated or reflected by the NASCAR rules and marketing philosophy. Now, it is like a cross between wrestling and roller derby, but it is my opinion after growing up in the real stock car racing era. - Now I just go to the Thursday, Friday and Saturday night races if I can actually find a real dirt track. - While at a small dirt track race, the weekend of a regional road racing track, Paul Newman was sitting behind me and tapped me on the shoulder and said "I guess you also go to see real racing" (I met him several times at the road track through the years.- He was a real racer and started when others were retiring).

Dick

This kinda goes along the lines of why I'm not a fan of higher education institutes. Instead of teaching people to be innovative and think outside of the box, most colleges ruin that creativity by teaching the students that this is the only right way to do something. A good example is a computer class that I almost failed because I was using short cuts. It was for simple microsoft word and part of the test asked you to copy and paste something so I hit ctrl c and ctrl v. It was marked wrong because they wanted you to do it the "right way" even though both ways were right. By the time you get out 4 years later, you have no clue how to handle something out of the ordinary. They are pretty much teaching people on a mass level to be mindless drones that are not capable of any form of innovation. Its really sad to see all of these great minds going to waste :(

I don't disagree. I think that's been the problem with most forms of higher education for some time.

It is despite the norm that progress is made it seems.

I don't disagree. I think that's been the problem with most forms of higher education for some time.

It is despite the norm that progress is made it seems.

Thinking outside the box and innovative ideas should be encouraged and sadly it seems that its not :(

As far as Nascar goes, I have never really been a huge fan, but my dad was always into it really hard core. I have noticed that in about the past 3 years he has almost completely stopped watching it and has switched over to drag racing. Now he is huge into that. Says its more exciting and less politics.

Would love to take a class like that, though you don't need a class like that to learn how to think outside of the box if you have a good teacher. I only had like 2 professors who encouraged that kind of thinking, and to say the least, they were my favorite professors by far!

I enjoyed those who weren't limited to curriculum myself.

Back