Any way to not get ripped off by roofer?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farmerjohn1324

Reaction score
I had a tenant message me a couple days ago saying her ceiling had been getting wet since the hurricane and it's wet to the touch. This is in a 300 sq. ft. Park Model trailer. I have no choice but to have a roofer come look at it and I will bet they will tell me it needs a new roof. It is just one spot in the bathroom.

10658.jpg

My mother always said roofers always start off with a “rip off” and then end with a “cover up”.

Three estimates is a good starting point and then ask each for references and a written quote explaining just what work will be done. Stay engaged in the process to make sure what you want done gets done. Lastly you have a great resource here before you hire one to ask real questions about the process suggested in the quotes and how long to expect the repair or replacement to last. Withhold payment or partial payment until you are satisfied.

You could also DIY and then you would be ripping yourself off and that never seems as bad.

Thanks.

If the trailer is in a community, and there is a resident handyman, ask them.

My mother always said roofers always start off with a “rip off” and then end with a “cover up”.

Three estimates is a good starting point and then ask each for references and a written quote explaining just what work will be done. Stay engaged in the process to make sure what you want done gets done. Lastly you have a great resource here before you hire one to ask real questions about the process suggested in the quotes and how long to expect the repair or replacement to last. Withhold payment or partial payment until you are satisfied.

You could also DIY and then you would be ripping yourself off and that never seems as bad.

But I don't know HOW to do it myself. I don't even know how to inspect for what needs to be done,

Especially above the area where the stain is.

I had a roof leak during a hurricane 20 years ago. It showed up on the first floor under the shower for my master bathroom. It turned out the gasket around the vent stack had dry rot and during the torrential rain of the hurricane enough water followed the vent pipe down and the leak showed up where the pipe took a turn. Leaks can be a challenge to trace sometimes. Upon initial inspection, for my leak, you would have thought it was a leak in the shower, not a roof leak.

How old is the trailer? Is this the original roof? Composition roof as in shingles? What is the pitch of the roof? Are there any penetrations through the roof near the leak? Is there a ridge vent on this trailer? Sometimes they can leak when there is blowing rain.

Back