What NOW!?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickR

Reaction score
Was going to replace my toilet. (The bolts that hole the tank to the base corroded through and were leaking.) I thought things were awry when I measured the rough-in at exactly 9" :confused: My home was built in '94 so my understanding is that it should be 12".

So before going out to buy a 10" rough-in, I decided to go ahead and pull the old toilet. The pictures below show what I was greeted with. Not only was the flange not in the correct location, it was even worse than I thought! It already has an offset flange! The actual pipe is even CLOSER to the back wall at under 8" and closer to the right wall than the left (looking at the toilet). It is 12" from the right wall and almost 20" from the left! Not only that, but if it WAS centered between the left and right, then the water supply pipe would need to be relocated -- it is precisely centered between the two!

So now what the crap am I supposed to do? This was supposed to be a quick afternoon project, now I'm pissed. (Puns intended, trying to laugh to keep from crying.)

IMG_2780.jpg

IMG_2781.jpg

IMG_2782.jpg

Oh my! You can be sure framing is in the way or they would not have sandwiched it that way originally.

So, when you tear up the subfloor (yes) be prepared to re-frame to accommodate the newly redesigned plumbing. You have a real job ahead, so stuff some rags in the hole and get busy with your sawzall.

Send more pics . . . I'd like to see how this develops.

Oh, and best of luck! :)

Hammer time? Can't touch that!
:D

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crb7VQiI72k[/ame]

Last edited:
Plumber is coming Wednesday morning to give his opinion. I'm still not sure if I'd rather tear up the floor or move the wall(s).

Latest posts

Back