Hello...

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

melbell

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I am new to house repair circuit. My boyfriend and I decided that we were going to get an investment property. Now we are *almost* the proud owners of a 1940's duplex. Each unit is very small and in need of some TLC. I would love to get some ideas about what we should/could do with the space. Looking forward to hearing from everyone.

Congratulations on the "almost" new house ... Big step for you and a boyfriend ...

Anyway, there is probably not a single question you could ask that cannot be answered here. Really. If it is too difficult, these guys will just lie and make it up.

Seriously, describe your problem carefully. No question is too silly, really. Provide good detailed pics. And follow the Facebook protocol to use "Like" when people honestly try to help you.

Hmmm ... 1940's house? Testing for lead paint and asbestos? Just asking ...

LIKE.jpg

External fire place mortar falling apart, although it is a fireplace with and insert. What is the best way to repair the missing mortar. Or new design ideas are welcomed. ImageUploadedByHome Repair1400995940.851582.jpgImageUploadedByHome Repair1400995958.923926.jpgImageUploadedByHome Repair1400995982.513681.jpgImageUploadedByHome Repair1400996026.865860.jpgImageUploadedByHome Repair1400996045.057949.jpg

And watch for the shower to get very hot if someone flushes the toilet.:help:

Congratulations on the "almost" new house ... Big step for you and a boyfriend ...

Anyway, there is probably not a single question you could ask that cannot be answered here. Really. If it is too difficult, these guys will just lie and make it up.

Seriously, describe your problem carefully. No question is too silly, really. Provide good detailed pics. And follow the Facebook protocol to use "Like" when people honestly try to help you.

Hmmm ... 1940's house? Testing for lead paint and asbestos? Just asking ...
Yes it is a big step for us.. The fixer-upper duplex is my idea, but his money. So, this is really HIS project. :-D Hopefully, the next one will be mine.

Welcome to the site: Good move if you have the skills and ambition. Hope you are having a good inspection.

Ambition.... check! Skills..... ummmm, yeah..... we'll soon find out. :)

That mortar needs serious repointing. It might require taking down the upper courses and rebuilding. As Neal says (Neal is ALWAYS RIGHT) get an expert to do the evaluation. Money well spent. However, fireplace repointing is NOT a beginner job. Building a low block wall is a beginner job to learn proper joint grouting, leveling, alignment ... I really like your enthusiasm. Remember to celebrate each point in your series of successes. Remodeling can seem to drag forever, so break up the long slog by enjoying a segment of the job "well done." This will help your relationship and make the project a lot more fun. :D

Back