ceiling issues in condo

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dgbradshaw

Reaction score
I live on the 2nd floor of a 3 story condo building, built in 2000-2001. Over the last few months, I have noticed that some of the drywall is sagging. It isn't sagging in the middle of the sheets, but at the edges. In the right light and looking at the right angle, I can see the lines all 4 sides of some of the sheets. It's difficult to tell what is causing this, as the ceilings are popcorn finish. I just bought the unit one year ago and this was certainly not noticeable at that time.

It started with being able to see the line edge one 4' end of a sheet, but now I'm seeing it at different places in the unit. All of this has happened in 6 months time and there are now at least 6-8 places where I can see at least one line edge.

Any thoughts on the cause? Could it be that when the ceiling was hung, the screws broke the paper and now the sheets are slipping down off the screws? Could this be structural? Thanks for your input.

Welcome DG:
We are proud to have you. I think the problem with the ceilings is the lack of screws rather than screws pulling through. Drywall is hung and finished by the square foot; the more sqrare feet I can hang the more I get paid. You gotta believe I'll be looking for corners to cut and production to increase.
If the framing was correct there will be something to screw the sheets to on all 4 sides of the room. You may need to push up on the ceiling and add some screws, painting the heads white. If you don't mention them, there will be few who see the extra screws.
Glenn

Back