Costs and Waste in Vinyl FLoor Bid through Home Depot

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neefg

Reaction score
Went to Home Depot to order vinyl floor to be installed by their subs over old vinyl. Company called Compu-Measure came out to measure the floor. Got the bid which came in way over my estimate. They said they need 39 sq yards to do my kitchen, laundry closet and 1/2 bath. However, the actual area is 227 sq ft (25 sq yards). This is an excess of 57% on the vinyl. Worse, they want to charge me $0.89/sq ft to install on the entire 39 sq. yards of material they claim to need, and not the actual square footage being installed. When I questioned them they stated it is always done this way.

Does that amount of extra vinyl seem reasonable and am I wrong to feel cheated at being asked to pay for installing the waste material?

There's no way we can see why there going to need all that material, or if your measurements were correct, it's standard to figure on about 10% waste not what they have, and no they should not be charging you for labor on sq. ft. of materails there not even installing.
All they do is hire subs to do there work, it's always better to go to a real flooring company and have there real employees do the work.
I've never heard anything good about anything they have gone through Lowes or Home Depot to get installed and always end up paying more or get shoddy work.

Installers are normally paid installation for every square foot that they touch. It does sound like way too much material, unless the product has a 3 foot pattern match. That will produce a lot of waste. The more seams, the more material.

Back