replacing termite eaten wood

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikefennel

Reaction score
im not sure how to go about this. the wood here extends outside to the eaves.
where it sits in the corner is very eaten away.
im going to sister a piece going all the way to the right to the beam.
now can i cut it off and replace it. maybe cantilever up about 4' with to the sister board?

20140330_144527.jpg

20140330_144624.jpg

I've seen metal sleeves or plates that are designed to make up for weakened or notched out wooden members by sistering them but of course I don't have the links anymore. :(
The engineering's already been done with these. Just elevate the rafter end with a lally column and bolt on the kit.

You may first want to survey how extensive your damage is.

I imagine that these spongy rafters have lost some height due to some crushing because of the load that they are under. If you measure all the heights, 20 or 30, you may see others that are significantly below average.

This is assuming all the new rafter dimensions were within a 1/16" or so, or maybe even less. The dimensions of batches of lumber are probably pretty consistent, except for length.

Last edited:
If it is a true cantilever it should only be a third of the member hanging out, so if you have 2ft of overhang and you have something solid to nail to 6ft should do it. I think for a floor they want more inside.

thanks wuzzat and nealtw.
i showed some pics to a friend who does framing. he told me dont cut the joist.
he thought that where the joist meets the top plate at the wall was not to bad and that if i just sister a 2x4 from the beam to the top plate at the wall that it would be just fine. after looking at it i think he is right. it will save me a great deal of aggravation, im sure it will be strong....
he also told me that my temporary supports were a little dodgy and to put a support directly under the joist....he's right i was not thinking when i put that up.....
ill follow up tomorrow with some more pics....thanks everyone....

Two one-bys on each side with through bolts is probably better than a two-by.

When you have the structure fixed I would consider firring out side of the dormer another 3 1/2 inches for more insulation against that roof line.

nealtw,
cant really add more depth. the wall continues to the right....i know there is a door there but were taking that out to make just one continuous wall.
im thinking of adding a little foam spray and some high density insulation...maybe top it off with a vapor barrier....

wuzzat,
the 2x4 worked great. had to jack it in but got it to sit well and i just screwed it tight to the board in question....
i got the adjacent wall torn out and built back up under it all. its much better than the termite eaten wood thats for sure...
its all looking really good now.
today ill start putting the framing back under all this and get the drywall back up and cover this thing up. still is cold at night and im tired of freezing.....

20140401_015320.jpg

20140401_015310.jpg

20140331_153035.jpg

just a little progress...:banana:

got drywall up on one side...
i used R30 for some serious insulation...

20140403_221426.jpg

20140403_221448.jpg

Last edited:
thanks neal. just trying to figure out if i want to go ahead with taking a quarter of this room and turn it into a wash room.
would like to get the washer, dryer, and water heater out of the garage.
its a plan we've been kicking around....
that door is really illegal. cant have a garage door open into a bedroom here in California.
it was like that when we bought the home..

just have to see if my wife the architect...no really she is an architect, is willing to do it now..

Back