DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Flooring > Linoleum on concrete




Help Support House Repair Talk by donating using the link above.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-03-2017, 11:16 PM  
swimmer_spe
Senior Member
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Sudbury, ON, Ontario
Posts: 326
Liked 66 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 60

Default Linoleum on concrete

I have 12x12 linoleum tiles that I want to lay down directly on the concrete of my basement floor. Part of the floor is already done that way.

Problem is, my concrete has efflorescence. After cleaning it up, it seems to come right back.

I don't get it in the winter. Should I wait till then?


swimmer_spe is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 11:24 PM  
nealtw
Contractor retired
 
nealtw's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Upper Fraser Valley, British Columbia
Posts: 23,445
Liked 2947 Times on 2583 Posts
Likes Given: 4855

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer_spe View Post
I have 12x12 linoleum tiles that I want to lay down directly on the concrete of my basement floor. Part of the floor is already done that way.

Problem is, my concrete has efflorescence. After cleaning it up, it seems to come right back.

I don't get it in the winter. Should I wait till then?
Water dissolves the salt and transports it to the surface. It might keep happening if you keep adding water.


nealtw is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 11:29 PM  
swimmer_spe
Senior Member
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Sudbury, ON, Ontario
Posts: 326
Liked 66 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 60

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nealtw View Post
Water dissolves the salt and transports it to the surface. It might keep happening if you keep adding water.
I think it is due to the reverse weather that we have had vs your area. There are no fire bans and everything is growing madly. I sometimes go several weeks without being able to cut my grass due to the constant rain.
swimmer_spe is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 11:35 PM  
nealtw
Contractor retired
 
nealtw's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Upper Fraser Valley, British Columbia
Posts: 23,445
Liked 2947 Times on 2583 Posts
Likes Given: 4855

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer_spe View Post
I think it is due to the reverse weather that we have had vs your area. There are no fire bans and everything is growing madly. I sometimes go several weeks without being able to cut my grass due to the constant rain.
So if you have water coming up thru the floor that should be dealt with first.

Tape a square of sheet poly on the floor and see if you get water under it
nealtw is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 11:41 PM  
swimmer_spe
Senior Member
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Sudbury, ON, Ontario
Posts: 326
Liked 66 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 60

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nealtw View Post
So if you have water coming up thru the floor that should be dealt with first.

Tape a square of sheet poly on the floor and see if you get water under it
The floor is not wet. Just thee white stuff.

I will do that test.


swimmer_spe is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter DIY Home Repair Forum Replies Last Post
What's under my linoleum topher5150 Flooring 9 07-10-2017 03:04 PM
Need to remove linoleum with new tile? tmramrod91 Flooring 3 07-26-2010 03:33 PM
Non-toxic linoleum sealant? TinaK Flooring 1 05-18-2010 11:06 PM
Asbestos linoleum TxBuilder Flooring 15 08-04-2006 12:56 PM
Linoleum flooring splicing. smfdrf Introductions 2 03-28-2006 07:18 PM