This one is news to me

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wuzzat?

Reaction score
and it looks safe.
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLkgWFh9lDs[/ame]

I was waiting for the tree to fall on his trailer. It's not fool proof as it still requires human hands.

I was waiting for the tree to fall on his trailer. It's not fool proof as it still requires human hands.
There are plenty of videos with trees crushing perfectly good trucks, decks, houses, porches, etc. :eek:

With some of these accidents I know the error. Other trees split up the middle and with these I'm not so sure.

This one is pretty good
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFTOlmCijjs[/ame]
and I realize after watching it that in some cases I was just lucky.

I'm definitely afraid of Widowmakers.

We have some trees along the fence line that need to be cut down. I'll talk to my neighbor about the tongue and groove system. We're trying not to destroy his fence.

We have some trees along the fence line that need to be cut down. I'll talk to my neighbor about the tongue and groove system. We're trying not to destroy his fence.
On a windless day anchor a rope high up before any cuts are made. The leverage you get does wonders for trees that want to misbehave.

Almost all the tree cutting books I've read began with "In memory of. . ." :(

Simple solution for that--just don't get married.
Yes, and since most accidents happen within 25 miles of home all you have to do is move.

And doctors kill more people than guns so ban docs and not guns.
:D

Last edited:
On a windless day anchor a rope high up before any cuts are made. The leverage you get does wonders for trees that want to misbehave.

Almost all the tree cutting books I've read began with "In memory of. . ." :(

Ill keep than in mind.

I have tied off in the past, it helped quite a bit.

BTW, the notch cut is supposed to go 1/3 into the tree diameter.

After some searching on chords and circles, one way to do this for a round tree is:
measure the circumference [let's say 36"]
calculate 40% of this [.4 x36 = .2 x 72 = 14.4]
mark your tree using a tape to measure this cut line.

This 14" horiz. wraparound mark should be centered on the direction of fall.

Last edited:
Back the school for you boy!
36" circumference is about a 12" diameter, your notch would be about 4"

Yes, cutting using the 14" wrap-around line should give you the 4" notch depth.
it works on paper and in a few months I can try it out on a pine tree.

That will work with some bars and some trees but the videos I saw didn't mention it.

I've noticed that when I do freehand cutting for woodworking, the workpiece ends up looking pretty lousy, so. . .
in order to improve my tree-cutting technique I'm going to put targets in the distance and see if I can drop those muvvas right on top of the targets, and to do this I'm going to need marks.
After that comes varying the width of the hinge to steer the tree. More marks. :(

Make sure you get the angle of the wedge right.
70 to 45 degrees, I've heard.

And I've seen wedge cuts that went halfway through the tree.
Maybe everybody has their own preferences and they swear it works for them. And it has but maybe not for the reasons they think.

I got a $49 elec. chain saw and this allows me to cut branches with one hand while harnessed onto the tree or ladder. I wouldn't do that with my gas saw - too heavy, too dangerous.

Last edited:
I got a $49 elec. chain saw and this allows me to cut branches with one hand while harnessed onto the tree or ladder. I wouldn't do that with my gas saw - too heavy, too dangerous.

So now the only danger is hanging yourself with multiple extension cords snaking all around, or electrocuting yourself when a live cord gets nicked and comes in contact with your aluminum ladder frame.

Good thing you're young and immortal.

So now the only danger is hanging yourself with multiple extension cords snaking all around, or electrocuting yourself when a live cord gets nicked and comes in contact with your aluminum ladder frame.

Good thing you're [not dead yet] and immortal [yes, so far I am immortal].

I've already figured the paths the current would take in the situations you describe and I think falling is way more likely. There is exposure to risk which is present here, and the chance that I will be harmed by that risk, which I think is small compared to the other hazards of tree cutting.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/0618143726/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

BTW, here's something I've heard about that I never would have thought of.
A kid in a tree is cutting branches and one of them falls on a power line [probably in the kV range] and the kid dies.

-a dead tree doesn't conduct electricity very well so it must have live
-I can imagine this if he was the bridge between the end of the branch and the tree trunk or grounded ladder
-if he was just touching the branch his body would have needed to be more conductive than the branch and tree

BTW, one time we came home from the beach only to have the neighbors tell us that our tree had been on fire because a branch was touching a nearby 7200v line, so the people at the other end of the 911 service came out and put it out.
Sorry I missed that spectacle! :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Back to the first post, there would be know accidents if things didn't appear safe.
Not exactly.

Selma Fraiburg talks about normal infants who are compelled to climb on things even while they are afraid to do so.
It's their drive to master their environment. They have to tip over chairs and whatnot to learn about the world they were born into.

And I guess some grown men have to tip over forklifts and ladders to learn physics. Some get Darwin Awards for their efforts. :eek:
And countless women & girls on YouTube learn about momentum and recoil while firing high-powered weapons.

Last edited:
Back