DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > General Appliance Discussion > Kenmore Coldspot 106.54596400: Water on the bottom of the freezer

Help Support House Repair Talk by donating using the link above.

Old 08-22-2017, 07:53 PM  
ilyaz
Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Well, my wife ended up calling a repairman who cleaned the drain. Looks like it was just food particles and other crap that accumulated in it over time. So I guess we're set for now. My guess is before it gets filled up again, we'll get a new fridge. Thanks everyone for their input.

nealtw Likes This 
Old 11-08-2017, 07:23 AM  
ilyaz

OK so the saga is not over. The first time the repair guy was fiddling with the fridge, he didn't even pull it out. Then after a couple of month it clogged again. He came and this time pulled the fridge out and spent a lot of time fixing it. Not sure what exactly he did since I wasn't home that day. The result?
1. It's unclogged (for now)
2. Now I have frost in my freezer.
3. The top section of the fridge compartment is warm even at the lowest temperature setting.

#2 and #3 happened after he came for the second time. So my guess is he screwed something up when fixing the clog. Before I call him for the third time, I want to get an idea about what might have happened. Of course, it may be time for a new fridge but this one had been working fine until this 2nd round of repairs, so maybe the repairman or I can easily fix the new problem?

We close the fridge and freezer doors all the way but is it possible that something got dislodged and so now we have a gap of some sort with a lot of warm humid outside air getting into the fridge and/or freezer?

Thanks

Old 11-08-2017, 08:13 AM  
joecaption
Liked 247 Times on 195 Posts
Likes Given: 60

https://www.repairclinic.com/RepairH...roubleshooting

Old 11-08-2017, 12:38 PM  
woodchuck
Liked 26 Times on 22 Posts

Is the frost on the coils behind the rear panel inside the freezer and the panel itself. If so that sounds like a defrost system problem. Defrost timer, defrost thermostat of defrost heater.
The ice buildup on the coils blocks the air flow to the fridge.

Old 11-08-2017, 06:06 PM  
ilyaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodchuck View Post
Is the frost on the coils behind the rear panel inside the freezer and the panel itself. If so that sounds like a defrost system problem. Defrost timer, defrost thermostat of defrost heater.
The ice buildup on the coils blocks the air flow to the fridge.
Here's a photo with the red arrows showing where frost has been accumulating
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6339.JPG
Views:	22
Size:	259.0 KB
ID:	15023  

Old 11-08-2017, 06:42 PM  
woodchuck
Liked 26 Times on 22 Posts

That ice looks to be caused by door gasket leaking air in. Using a dollar bill or piece of paper see how tight the seal is when the door is shut. does the door shut tight or is it too easy to open. The door closing cam could be broken. It causes the door to shut by itself and holds it shut. its located on the lower hinge of the door.

Old 11-09-2017, 11:28 AM  
elbo
Liked 89 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 43

definitely an air leak. clean the seal all around using a "dobie " pad. and dishwashing detergent. rinse. then dry. after doing that,lubricate the seal with a silicon lubricant oil. Just in case you dont know what a dobie pad is, it's just a sponge wrapped in a nylon mesh

Old 11-10-2017, 07:45 AM  
ilyaz

I read somewhere that the reason why the fridge compartment may not be working is that there might be a fan that pulls cold air from the freezer into the fridge compartment.

So I presume it might have been damaged or disconnected during the last round of repairs. If that's the case, would this be totally separate from the drain/defrost not working?