mystery wood floor

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diydude11

Reaction score
Hi all,

My father has an older condo and recently spilled some cleaners on the floor, which cause it to buckle up horribly. He pulled up a few pieces and asked me if I could help him replace them...but I have no idea what these things are, not any kind of floor i've ever seen.

It looks like some of the pieces were almost glued down to the subfloor, since I can see chunks of it left over on the planks, but then there are also these strips that look like they were placed there on purpose, and almost fit in to each other. Someone said it looked like it was a "glue-down" laminate, but I've never heard of such a thing. I was hoping maybe someone on here might know what these are, or maybe an installer that has put it in before. I figure since it's probably old, I won't be able to find that exact floor anymore...but Im just curious at what it is .

Here are some pictures of it...the red is the underside of the floor, to show those lines of wood, that when peeled up, almost look like shims. The top is the natural finish.
img0751po.jpg

img0745t.jpg

img0747k.jpg

img0748v.jpg

I can't tell from the pictures if the flooring is tongue and groove. How old is the condo? I have built condo's and project housing. Sometime to keep the cost down, we need to buy a train load of flooring and when its gone its gone. If you can post a better picture, it is possible to make any floor. You may need to take some to a hardwood supply company. Some can make a small amount. This problem is common in the remodeling business. Remember, if you need to remove any damaged flooring, cut down the length of the board (just deep enough to cut the floor) and pry it out. You can nail the new floor in and cut the bottom of the grove off and glue the last piece in, that looks better than nailing. Good luck.

I'm stumped as well. Is it possible to swap the bad piece of flooring with one in a closet? If so, you may be able to get a stain that looks similar to cover up the bad piece, which would now be in the closet?

Latest posts

Back