Matching stain on Maple hardwood to maple plywood

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrissy

Reaction score
I am making kitchen cabinets with maple. The shaker doors are solid maple framing with plywood panels. I have read the information regarding the difference in the two pieces to accept stain; however, I can't even get the colors to match. In my experiment (one of many) I used an English Chestnut on a piece of solid maple after applying wood conditioner and liked the color. I then put wood conditioner on a piece of maple plywood and then the same English Chestnut stain. The plywood had a dark brown color and the solid was more a golden brown. There was no similarity in the tone whatsoever. Any tips you can offer? I've also tried conditioner on the plywood and not on the solid but got the same inconsistency in color tone.

Frustrated

Cupboard manufactures often use laquer based stains and laquer cover coat. It drys fast so color is more likely to be constent. They sprey it on and in the wrong hands that can be screwed up too.

Thanks. Have you had any experience with aniline stains? I was thinking that might penetrate the solid maple more bringing the 2 closer in color and depth.

If we learn by mistakes, with stain I should be and expert but.
Hardwoods like maple are non porous and don't take stains well. The maple on plywood is a sliver of wood from around the tree which open up the pores and it takes stain really good.
Hopefully someone that knows more will be along.

Water based powder stains soaked in much better on the solid maple.

Back