Studs causing drywall bulging

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dadathepanda

Reaction score
Hi all

Noob here with a question that I can't find answer to online.
I've noticed lately that the wall has bulges running almost ceiling to floor at even intervals, same as stud spacing.
Anyone has any idea what is causing it? I've read about ghosting but that's not it since this is a real bulge and not a shadow and I've washed the wall and the bulge is still there. House is about 35 years old, we bought it a year ago and during the inspection nothing serious came up.

Here's a picture of the issue. Anyone has any idea what is causing it?

Thank you

View attachment IMG_0635.jpg

Measure the distance between the lumps. If it is 16" or 24" it might be outlining the studs , if it is more like 20 inches someone has tried to hide the wall paper joints.

It looks to be every 4 feet not every stud. It could be bad joints/tape job in the drywall.

Thank you for the replies, I just measured and the distance b/t bulges is 16" so it's studs. But what would cause them to bulge like that?

I had a house where every wall was like that, but it was much older with thinner drywall..
The cheap fix would be to paint it with a flat finish paint.
Or get into a skim coat to straighten it out.

I suspect the drywall was installed vertically instead of horizontally, so each piece of drywall only lands on four studs across the weaker axis of the drywall.

So this has nothing to do will humidity or some stuff like that?

Thanks all, I was not looking forward to ripping out the wall

I wouldn’t rip it out but you could put another layer on top running the other direction and finish it smooth.
That is what I'd do or if it would be unfeasible, I'd remove the sheetrock and re-do it horizontally. 3/8" sheetrock will work fine as an overlay and might be cheaper. This scenario is exactly why horizontal hanging works better and has now become the common method.

Phil

Try a lower sheen paint and while flat is a dirt magnet, some vendors offer a flat that dries as a hard easy clean surface.

Hanging the TV on the wall and including some art will break up the wall and disguise the humps. That and a lower luster paint may make the bulges less noticeable.

you have 2 fixes available to you

1, demo the sheet rock and correct the framing by replacing bowed studs. if non-bearing cut the studs to relieve bow
2, apply a slight texture to the wall instead of a non texture ''slick wall''

I agree with the sheetrock being hung wrong. I don't think you have "bowed" studs as much as you have warped sheetrock. Either go over it with horizontal 3/8" sheetrock or paint it a flat paint.

Dave Mason

Latest posts

Back