Garage Door

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StevePeel

Reaction score
I'm wanting to add a garage door to my existing carport which is block construction. The home was built in the 50's and the cells around the opening are not filled with concrete. Additionally, there is no block header, just a wood header spanning the top of the opening. The city is requiring a detail of attachement that meets wind load specs. I need to be pointed in the right direction for submitting a plan and actually engineering the opening and a header that matches the height of the door itself??

Thanks in advance - SP

If the city said they want to see engineering, they usually want to see an engineers stamp on the plan. If that is the case you need an engineer.

They only want a detail. I am looking for a way to do the work that they might approve.

Florda and Cali are the two states in the country with certain codes that make life interesting. Depending on what your Inspector wants to see, you will most likely need an engineer as suggested to figure what you have there in the first place. Remember that the inspector does not come out to look at the job till it's finished. By then, if it is done wrong or you missed that there is no rebar and grout in any of the cells, you get to tear it out and start over.

I attached a link which may help, but If this was my job, I would go with the $400 or so , and save a big headache.
Good luck:)
http://www.toolbase.org/PDF/CaseStudies/concrete_masonry_homes.pdf

Back