Vinyl tile perimeter

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BER7777

Reaction score
I just installed vinyl tile I my kitchen. At the perimeter the tiles come flush with the baseboards (with an occasional gap up to 1/8’’). Should I caulk the connection and the gap between the boards and the tiles? If yes, what caulk should I use, can I use acrylic door/window sealant? Do I absolutely have to install shoe molding or quarter round?

I appreciate your suggestions.

Will caulk adhere to the shiny & smooth surface of the tiles? If not, you could make a fixture with 60 grit sandpaper that roughens the surface within 3/16" of the edge. 100 (sand grains to the inch) is probably too fine, it'll clog the paper quickly.

Last edited:
I mostly do quarter round on the borders. . .but. . .what makes the edges get ugly otherwise? :confused:

One place you have no choice is beside a bathtub. It's an ongoing battle to keep it caulked and is always the first place to curle up and look ugly.

Bathrooms may count as a severe environment, what with the moisture and the 'traffic'. Plus the tub filling and emptying might be an impact load, maybe going to 350 lbs and then back to zero, counting the water and the person.

Walls and floors do move and independent of each other, a bigger room could also have maybe a few people making the floor sag, winds push and pull walls. The use of vinyl on the floor may also indicate an area of moisture or a floor that isn't stable enough for tile, so more flexing.

Thank you for your comment. I will add a molding. Now how about this part where the tile borders with the carpet? The edge of the carpet is under aluminum gripper. How should I connect the tile ant the gripper?

You should have removed the gripper and replaced it after the lino. can you post a photo of what you have.

Back