double key deadbolt lock stuck

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D725A

Reaction score
Hi, I have a 16 year old double-key deadbolt lock on my front door, don't know brand. See attached photo. A few years ago it got stuck--key is not stuck in lock but it won't turn enough to open door. At that time the locksmith talked me through it. It had something to do with aligning the two screw holes correctly. Just can't remember the details. When I turn the key part way the screwholes open up but aside from spraying WD40 in there don't recall that to do. I do recall it was very simple. I just looked at photo and for some reason it came out horizontally, at least on my screen. It should show two screw hole covers right and left of keyhole; so in your mind imagine it turned 90 degrees clockwise.

IMG_0824edsm.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
If you can get a grip on the outside of the unit, you could probably hold it still while you turn the key. A vise-grip pliers with padded jaws might be needed.
Ultimately, you will have to tighten those screws. I don't see heads on those screws, but that might just be the picture. If not, those might be small plugs covering the heads. Pry them out and tighten the screws. If this happens often, consider a new lock. They are almost always universal in fitting the old holes.

Thanks, when I turn the lock partway, those holes open up and I was able to tighten the screws but to no avail. But I'll try this with someone else on the other side of the door to hold the lock and make sure it's not turning as I'm turning the key. Not sure if that's how I fixed it last time. I recall it was something to do with those screw holes beyond just tightening them.

I know it's been a while but that's an Arrow brand deadbolt, if you can't turn the key you have to drill through the plate that's covering the screws to remove it

Thanks. Right you are it was an Arrow. I couldn't turn the key but key was removable. Turned out when the locksmith opened everything up that a small piece inside had broken from metal fatigue over the years, so had to replace the odd-sized latch.

So did you get it out?
Should have been replaced years ago.
What's going to happen in a fire when when someone tries to go out that door, look for the key?

Back