GFI Outlet / Seperate Light Switch - Light won't turn off!?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK I will try this one more time for those here that are so knowledgable about their trade they have nothing more to learn.

Let's go over what we know and what we don't know.
Looking at the photos in the first posting. We can see what looks like a new box with old wires, no gromets. More than 1 wire on a screw, at least one nic in a white wire, at least one spot on black wire with green tape, let's assume that a repair, the green tape may or may not be a electrical tape.
We also know the OP and her hubby are not afraid to get into electrical work and with the problem presented we can figure they don't have a lot of knowledge on the subject.
Do you think these people called an electrician when the fan was replaced or the light was replaced.
You're right, you have know way of knowing even if they were changed. That's the point. WE DON"T KNOW.
WE DON"T KNOW if the light is wired correctly
WE DON"T KNOW if the fan is wired correctly
WE DON"T KNOW where the switches are in relationship to the shower
WE DON"T KNOW where the fan is in relationship with the shower
WE DON"T KNOW if there is a hand held shower head that could reach the fan

WE DO KNOW this is referrenced in the code
WE DO KNOW the code dose have some ifs,buts, and maybes on the subject.
WE DO KNOW wiring the lights and fan on the load side of this thing in itself dose not create a fire or shocking risk.
WE DO KNOW the frustration level was already high if we read the posts. I mean read them like you care.
WE DO KNOW how to hook this thing up so a bad light or fan will not kill anyone.
WE DO KNOW if we solve the first problem the frustrasion level will be gone and we can ask more questions and make more suggestions about proper practice in that box the light the fan and then explain that this should be wired the other way.

I am sure the OP has given up with all this crap and has cancelled their membership and are back watching Holmes on homes and we have lost the chance to help them with just the things wrong in that box.
Maybe Hubble should put a night lite on it, so we can find the TP in the dark.

So when all this gets boiled down, according to the code, putting the lights on the load side of a GCFI is a personnel preference thing. Everyone has their own preference and reasons but either way is right according to the code. Is that a correct summarization?

You would need to be a lawyer to figure that out. All I'm saying is you use all tools available to make a situation safe. Just quoting code is not the answer in all situations.
I just want people to take more time, ask more questions, look for more details and make better suggestions.
When people say thing like ," I'm a licenced whatever" they are implying that all others suggestions are to be ignored becuase they know best. Which would be fine if they were the one that pointed out things others missed, but that isn't the situation here.
These same people may read this and say well Neal's just wrong, but from now on they will be looking for the details. Job Done.

So when all this gets boiled down, according to the code, putting the lights on the load side of a GCFI is a personnel preference thing. Everyone has their own preference and reasons but either way is right according to the code. Is that a correct summarization?

That is correct with one exception. If the light is in the shower or tub area then GFCI is required.

JoeD said:
That is correct with one exception. If the light is in the shower or tub area then GFCI is required.

Joe,
Do you have a code reference?

JoeD said:

551.53 discusses luminaries in showers at an RV park or in RV.
552.54 discusses luminaries in a trailer park shower.

Not disagreeing (yet),lol. Just want to see code.

Confused with Canadian code.
3-320. (Paraphrase) Luminaires controlled by a wall switch in damp or wet locations where the wall switch is less than 1m but not less .5m from tub must be protected by GFCI.

Latest posts

Back