Shut off valve replacement?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Webster

Reaction score
How hard is it to repair a copper pipe soldered on shut off valve? Is it worth trying to repair? If I unsolder the shut off valve, should I try and resolder on a new valve or uses a compression valve? If you need to repalce a compression shut off vave, can you just unscrew the old one and replace, or do you have to cut the pipe again? I do not have enough extra pipe to cut. Thanks

Webster, It is not hard but from the sounds of things you may want to get someone with some experience in sweating pipe to show you the ropes...

Webster:

You would do well to buy yourself a quality propane torch and some copper fittings and learn to solder. Soldering is something that almost every DIY'er eventually learns, and it's an important skill to acquire because soldered joints are (in my opinion) the most reliable joints you can make.

People who don't solder often will turn to compression fittings as an alternative. I would never trust anything but a soldered joint if the piping is going to be covered with drywall or inaccessible for some other reason.

Nestor, I agree with you completely on compression joints.
In fact I don't know of any code in the US that allows them in concealed locations.

I agree sweating is easy you just may want to find someone that knows how to show you the ropes the first time. After that it's all practice.

Back