Looking for insight

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kap1492

Reaction score
My wife and I are in the process of purchasing a Cape Cpd style home that is 67yrs old. We are looking to replace the front entry door and the side entrance door. The reason why we are replacing the doors and frames is they tested positive for lead paint. Since we have a nine-month-old, we feel that the best course of action is replacing both door systems before we move in. Since we are purchasing a house and looking to make some minor improvements, we are trying to watch our budget. After visiting Home Depot we took some door manufactures catalogs and picked out the style of doors we liked. We went back and found a really nice Feather River door. To my disappointment, I have read nothing but poor reviews regarding this manufacturer. As I stated earlier, we are trying to budget conservatively due to the fact that we are replacing both entry doors at the same time. We have gotten some quotes on Thermal-Tru and Provia doors, which unfortunately are out of our price range. Can you guys suggest or give feedback on any other reasonably priced doors that are not custom made. Some of the other brands that Home Depot carry are Masonite, Jeld-Wen and Millikin. Are Feather River doors really that poor in quality or did I pick a Feather River hating site? The door in question is around $500, the last thing I want to do is have to purchase another door several years down the road when I could've just paid upfront for a better quality door such as Therma-Tru or Provia.
Any other brands that you guys can recommend that are good quality and have a fair price point. We are looking to probably spend around $800 max for the front door, and a more functional old door for the side entrance. Most likely looking to go fiberglass for both doors, maybe steal for the side entrance. I appreciate any advice or tips they can be given.

Welcome to the site.
If your only complaint on the old doors is the paint, which is only dangerous for the people who eat it or sand it, have the paint removed and replaced. They have stude the test of time.

Welcome to the site.
If your only complaint on the old doors is the paint, which is only dangerous for the people who eat it or sand it, have the paint removed and replaced. They have stude the test of time.

Thanks for the response. I have contact multiple contractors who are lead certified and it is cheaper to have them removed. Plus the doors are old and are sticking on top of want to replace them anyways. Just rather be overly conservative in regards to lead paint.

How did the rest of the house test out?
I don't know which has the best doors,I do like the look of the fibreglass doors. New door frames are more often made out of finger jointed spf and don't stand up to weather like the oldgrowth fir or southern pine, the new deal for more money is pvc frames.

How did the rest of the house test out?
I don't know which has the best doors,I do like the look of the fibreglass doors. New door frames are more often made out of finger jointed spf and don't stand up to weather like the oldgrowth fir or southern pine, the new deal for more money is pvc frames.

The entire interior was negative. All positive results were exterior and can be remedied in the future and pose no immediate risk. We definitely want to go fiberglass. Both doors are shielded from weather and son exposure due to a nice covered porch. Just looking to get feedback on manufacturers. Going to check out a few more Therma-Tru dealers to see if price could be better.

Do you want good doors or inexpensive doors? You have to decide how much money you have to spend and then get the best door in your price range.

I want a door that is priced between $400-600 for the front and $200-300 for the side (no bells and whistles, just functionality)that has a good reputation for quality. I know it's not gonna be a Provia but I want the best door that my price range can afford. Like I said, from what I have read Feather River is garbage. Was thinking Masonnite? Any thoughts?

Don't just shop the big box stores. Go check out your local lumber yard or local building supply store. You may find brands there that Home Depot could not convince to make cheap enough for them.

Back